Hidden Nest? Or just crazy Banty?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marinemom10, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Hi! Wondering if all you folks who know more than me can translate my little red banty's behavior. Right now, my tiny little flock free ranges. 2 RIR roosters and 2 RIR hens, 2 small red banties, a grey banty, and her 6 chicks which are looking to be 3 roos and 3 hens, but just getting out on their own right now.

Anyway, Henny Penny didn't show up at roost time; I always "walk" them into the barn, and tuck them in with treats and kind words, and a head count. She disappeared yesterday sometime while I was out , and I walked over our property about 4 or 5 times. ( ick. hot, sweaty, just before another storm, so I was worried! )

Didn't show up all day today, until just a bit ago, when I saw her in the barn getting food and water. Her breast feathers looked funky, like she'd been sitting on eggs, so I'm wondering if she has a hidden nest.

Of course by the time that I had gone to get proper foot apparel so I could follow her, she'd disappeared; .

Hidden nest? Insane Bird? Insane Bird owner? (no cracking "yolks"..lol)

How does one locate bird with hidden nest, anyway?

Thanks for input!

2. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    If she has a hidden nest I would just let her sit the chicks, but that's just my opinion.
    If you really want to break her you ould try and lock her in the coop until she starts laying again.
    But I'm no expert on broodies (i've never had one).

3. I'm not opposed to her hatching her eggs, but I'd like her to do it where she is protected and has access to food and water.

Still haven't found her or her nest, but am trying to read up on what to do if we find her, so that I can make sure she doesn't die in this hot temps and hellatious storms.

4. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Since you can't find her I would say she is hidden perty well.
    She's proubly hid up in a tight place somewhere in the woods, If that helps.
    Look under rocks, in bushes, etc.
    As for storms, she's proubly somewhere covered by vegetation, rocks, etc.
    Good luck looking for your rouge banty!!! [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd worry far more about predators rather than hot weather and storms. She'll probably appear to eat around the same time tomorrow. After she finishes, watch where she goes. After eating and maybe dust bathing, she'll return to her nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by