1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hidden nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tuesdays chicks, Sep 10, 2010.

1. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I found a hidden nest with 6 little pullet eggs in it. 1st I'll tell you my andalusian pullet smoky was laying eggs a few weeks ago tiny white eggs. and I was going away before I left it seemed like 3 days she didn't lay an egg so I thought well its ok shes a new layer needs to get into the rythem. so then I came back from N.Y. and take a look at the eggs and tell dh well someone else is laying because there are 2 different eggs in the egg box 3 tiny white 1s and 4 cream colored eggs slightly bigger and more round. so now I know smoky is laying but which of the other 2 are laying, today I set my mind to watching, but oh my 1st day off I need to do errends also, I come back and check the coop sure enough while I was away for the hour the cream egg appears. i'm none the wiser, I go back out after to see if my BO hen left me a present the girls are all aroundthen the campine is nowhere to be seen but I can hear her singing, then I spot her under the ramp to the shed I take a look between the slats and in the grass is a nest with 6 white eggs, now I know where that 1 is laying the brahma is putting her eggs in the nest but where can smoky be hiding her eggs now she was laying in the nest to start.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Are you aware they sometimes steal eggs from others and move them? I don't even know how they do it, but my broody does this every day.

3. tuesdays chicks

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    No never heard that before. Care a chicken lift an egg. I'm locking them in the run for a few days so they have to lay inside

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They for sure can roll them along, but mine move them to places they have to carry them. I have read of thei crrying them under their wings. I've never caught them at it.

5. tuesdays chicks

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    That is so funny just thinking about it. I would love to catch a chicken stealing an egg

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I think locking them in the coop for a few days is a great idea. You will find out how many are laying plus you will force them to lay in the coop. That might or might not break them of the habit of laying outside, but it is sure what I would try.

I have had chickens move an egg before. Not a broody because I did not have one at the time. I think it could have been the rooster but not sure. It was laid on the ground in a tractor and was moved up to the nest. I know it was the same egg because it had rained and the ground was muddy. Just from the color and shape of the egg, plus the stain patterns from the mud I am sure it was the same egg. I don't know how they do it, under their chin, under a wing, or a combination, but I know they can do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by