hide and seek everyone

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvchicks8, Sep 4, 2009.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Well at least that what my wyandotte is saying when she layes her egg. It is never in the same spot and I have over 7 acres to search [​IMG] I want to leave her in the coop but my 2 boys run down to get the other eggs and she always gets out. I swear she watches and laughs at us searching for her latest nest in the woods. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Hee! Hee! [​IMG]

3. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Why does she move where she is laying even if it is in the woods. Is it becsude I find them and take them so she moves on???

4. bkvail

bkvail Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I think that you hit the nail on the head - maybe leave a 'faux' egg for her so she comes back to one spot?

5. toetoe

toetoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    I find that when I find the hiding spot I leave the first egg that I find for that time. The next time I go to the hiding spot I take a golf ball with me and remove yesterdays and todays egg (if there is a second one) and leave the golf ball.

This way my girls think I have not found their nest and continue to lay in that spot. After 5 eggs are removed I keep 2 golf balls in that nest.
    After I have removed 10 eggs from the nest I add another golf ball. I never leave anymore them 3 ball in a nest.

I find that I have had less searching for eggs this way, and I only remove them after the hens have gone in for the night.

My hens are free ranged.

6. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    When I find a hidden nest, I leave two eggs circled with red marker. They still think it's safe to lay there then. And I can still collect fresh eggs without picking up the old ones.

7. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:Thanks I am going to try this although this morning I beat the boys to the coop and made her stay in until 9 when she layed and then let her out. Boy were they ugly at me lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by