Hiding chickens from HOA-gone rogue!!

lovingmyhens

Songster
6 Years
Oct 20, 2013
Houston, Texas
What have you done to keep your HOA from knowing you have illegal chickens?
I live in a neighborhood near Houston and I know I’m not supposed to have chickens. I back up to a bayou (kind of like a small ish river that was created to help with flooding. Mine is mostly dry. Unless Harvey comes or it keeps raining like now.
A couple years ago my HOA took pictures from my front yard over my fence. Got a letter saying to get rid of them l, several letters, but one day a predator got all 8. So that was that. Then last summer I decided I’d try again. None of my chickens are laying right now so they are pretty quiet. I’ve planted a long row of Buford holly bushes and other vines to cover my fencing at some point.
Hopefully they will grow to be bushy enough to cover it completely. By the way, it’s illegal for anyone from the HOA to go into your property. When I called them about it they said the pic was from one of my neighbors. But 2 of my neighbors have chickens. And none of the others care. They get free eggs!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,003.9 KB · Views: 181
I just don’t get the concept of posting on a social media account “ hi I’m breaking the law , here’s a picture of my yard and where I live ???”

Doesn’t seem like a really smart thing to do first of all and is this really the hill you want to die on? They’ve already got your number from last time ....it just seems really reckless and not responsible, why don’t you just move ??

And yes I am from a law enforcement family and it bothers me when you don’t follow the rules

Last edited:
I just don’t get the concept of posting on a social media account “ hi I’m breaking the law , here’s a picture of my yard and where I live ???”

True dat be!!

Doesn’t seem like a really smart thing to do first of all and is this really the hill you want to die on? They’ve already got your number from last time ....it just seems really reckless and not responsible, why don’t you just move ??

And yes I am from a law enforcement family and it bothers me when you don’t follow the rules

Sorry I was making fun of it! I do think you should not break the law...

I recommend anyone, chicken owner or not, that lives somewhere with an HOA to become an active member of their HOA. You have a say in your association and you can make things run better and you can voice your opinion and often you can vote on issues. Know what the agenda of your association is. Get items you care about to be part of the agenda. Make sure they are spending money wisely and taking on projects that help all owners and improving your infrastructure.

Back
Top Bottom