Hiding Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by summerb123, Nov 1, 2016.

1. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    my 3 year old hen Cocktail keeps hiding in the nesting boxes and on the perches. I am pretty sure that she isn't broody (i've seen herr broody) she does not puff up or squalk at me she just does this gentle cluck. She isn't laying any eggs but she will sit on them time to time.she has been like this over a month she just doesn't want to go out with the others. have any of y'all seen this happen before and how do i break her and why is she doing it?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I've had them do that when they are molting, and would assume yours has probably started to molt. I think they hurt to be touched and don't like to roost. You can block the nests, or go out after dusk and remove her from the boxes and put her on the roost. They will usually stop it after they are done molting unless it becomes a habit, so keeping after her is your best option.

3. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    ok she is not molting anymore i think is a habit b/c my leghorn hen is molting and she doesn't even go in the coop part unless its night or i'm in there doing something, the only thing is i cant block the nesting boxes lol but i will do my best to break her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by