hiding instead of roosting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sisterfeather, Oct 28, 2011.

1. sisterfeather

sisterfeather New Egg

Jun 23, 2010
    Washington
    Tonight when I went out to put my ladies to bed (count them, close the door, give them a little appreciation for the great job they do & make sure the feeder was lifted high off the ground) I found 6 of my hens sitting on the floor instead of roosting with the other 14. They are in the corners and under the nesting boxes almost like they are hiding or out of the way. Anyone had this happen or know what may cause them to do this?

2. PixieChixie

PixieChixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    What breeds ate they? Are they bantam, or lowest on the pecking order? Do you have plenty of room on the roost? I've read about hens not being allowed by the others to roost with them.

3. sisterfeather

sisterfeather New Egg

Jun 23, 2010
    Washington
    I turned the light on and closed the door. About a half hour later I checked on them again and they were all roosting. I am thinking maybe it was the wind. We had wind and rain so maybe they were a bit wet and the wind was chilling them. After I closed the door they were out of the draft. (?)
    They are assorted breeds that were hiding - and others of the same breed were up on the roost. They have lots of room to roost now that I've cut my flock down to 23.
    Thanks for your help!! I think I've got it figured out.

If anyone has any great tips on rat control, I'm all ears!!! Our feed is all in sealed containers and we don't overfeed or leave feed out at night. Last year my husband put some poison down one of the holes near the barn and it stunk to high heaven all winter! I was hoping for a different result this year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by