Hiding my hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChatLunatique, Dec 5, 2014.

1. ChatLunatique

ChatLunatique New Egg

Dec 5, 2014
    Hello everyone. I'm new to this wonderful site, but I've raised chickens off and on for the past 30 years. Sadly, chickens are banned in my town, though judging by the early am crowing, not many people obey that particular law. Currently, I have a rescue hen that I believe is a White-crested Black Polish Chicken, that I named Ringo, as a house pet. She's very smart and even uses the cat's litter box..., most of the time.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    1 person likes this.
  3. misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Ordure Heir

Nov 20, 2014
    Mikado, Mi
    [​IMG]

We all love our house chickens....most of the time lol.

4. ChatLunatique

ChatLunatique New Egg

Dec 5, 2014
    Thanks for the welcome and the link! Too many wonderful stories to read. Sadly the town fathers have a "Pigs is pigs" attitude when it comes to the pets vs livestock issue. Likely because so many people around here raise roosters to fight them. That's what Ringo was rescued from, the sheriff (a good friend) who rescued her said she was used as a bait bird to make the cocks more aggressive. Poor thing was just bones and feathers when he brought her to me. Now she's a total lap bird who vies with my cat for attention.
    I use a corn-husk/wheat-hull based organic cat litter. Ringo started to scratch in it all on her own, and I think she just loved the praise and attention she got when relieving herself there.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Your baby sounds adorable! Definitely stop by the House Chickens thread that Sunflour has left for you. You can share your stories, pics and fun with other members that have house chickens.

Enjoy your bird and welcome to our flock!

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! Is ringo your avatar pic? If she is then yes you are right she is a white crested black polish. She looks lovely, I love the polish they make great pets so I'm sure she will be a great house chicken. How nice of you to rescue her and give her a loving home.

Wishing you the best of luck with her in the future :frow

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I've never had the White Crested Black Polish, but I did have some Golden Polish and they were delightful birds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with Ringo.

10. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by