High 50s to low 60s, can I turn off the heat lamp?

Jan 23, 2010
Mountains of NC
My chicks are six weeks old and in the coop with a heat lamp at night. Temps at night are in the high 50s and low 60s. They look fully feathered. For how much longer will I need to use the heat lamp?

Last edited:
Time to wean them off the heat. Start by lowering the wattage, or raising the bulb, and limiting the time it is on. Allow the birds to naturally develop good feathering, which slightly cooler temps like the 50's allow. Hen raised chicks are normally "kicked out of the nest" at 5 weeks and are on their own. At 7 weeks, they should not need any assisting heat at all, day or night. Gradually acclimate them over a 5-7 day period and they will thrive.

Fred's Hens :

Time to wean them off the heat. Start by lowering the wattage, or raising the bulb, and limiting the time it is on. Allow the birds to naturally develop good feathering, which slightly cooler temps like the 50's allow. Hen raised chicks are normally "kicked out of the nest" at 5 weeks and are on their own. At 7 weeks, they should not need any assisting heat at all, day or night. Gradually acclimate them over a 5-7 day period and they will thrive.

Wonderful!!! I have unsuccessfully looked for a lower wattage heat lamp bulb. Where do I find those? The lamp is at the ceiling now , about 6 feet, but still maintains the temp below it around 80. I'm turning it on before going to bed and turning it off at 6:15. Hum, should I switch to a regular light bulb?​

Last edited:
depending on your outside temp, I am thinking they are in the coop? you may be able to omit it all together...are they
fairly all feathered out? If so, they will do fine.

I turned mine off at 3 days actually...it was so warm...they went outside to the coop at 4 weeks, with no heat at all.
They are doing great at 10 weeks now...

Back
Top Bottom