1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

High altitude affecting meat birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Chirpy, May 24, 2007.

1. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Ok - this is my first thread. I've been lurking, reading and reading for a few weeks now. I've gotten most of my questions answered by others' questions but this is one I haven't run across yet.

My husband and I are thinking about ordering some Jumbo Cornish X Rocks to supply some meals for the fall. However, the hatchery says that they shouldn't be raised at altitudes above 5000 ft. We live at 7300 ft.

Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't get them? Why they shouldn't be raised at this altitude?

2. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    I'm not sure about this either. I would just call the hatchery and ask for their advice!

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    They grow too fast and their hearts can barely keep up even at low altitudes once they get heavy. At high altitudes the reduced oxygen only makes the problem worse and they die before they reach butchering weight.

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    The advice is correct and if in your position i would follow it...the birds chance of ascites syndrrome (a specific cause related ascites known to occur in meat birds at that elevation) is a very real risk. Here is an article on it:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/6/ascites

5. Motherhenandflock

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    I see on McMurray's site that they don't they don't recommend the Jumbo Cornish X Rocks for the higher altitudes but they don't mention the restriction for these, a Cornish Roaster:
    http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/cornish_roaster.html
    I wonder about them.
    We are at about 4800 ft. and have raised the Cornish X Rocks. We always loose some. We do restrict the feed after the first 5 days.

6. Motherhenandflock

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by