High-altitude people.... Shipping problems??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by warmfuzzies, Apr 28, 2009.

1. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    OK, there was some mention of this in another thread, and I wanted to give it its own spot to see if there were others with this trouble.

HAve you noticed that you have trouble with eggs shipped up from much lower elevations? I had eggs shipped from FL and the Gulf Coast area, and I diddnt have good luck with them at all.

Has anyone noticed that? DO they do better if you get them from somewhere closer in elevation to you?

We are not that high, only about 4000 ft, but they were coming from close to sea level.

2. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    I only have experience ordering from Iowa. We did not have any issues this year. I am subscribing to the thread since I am at 4500 ft now and hoping to move to 6200 ft soon.

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Several (one in particular) long threads regarding high altitude hatching. I just completed a hatch in which I hatched 97% of the eggs from my own stock. I hatched 35% of the ones that were shipped. I have a terrible problem with loose air cells. I dont beleive it is only on eggs shipped to high altitude, but it sure seems to be worse. I hatch at right around 5200 feet. My eggs came from ks and GA.

By the way this is better than my average on shipped eggs. My worst hathces of course were on my most costly eggs.

I wish you luck. I continue to beleive that one day soon someone will discover the key to shipping eggs. I think it has to do with change of air pressure but cannot prove it as I am not a research person that has time, energy or where withall to aggravate myself with it. I just aggravate myslef with bad hatches LOL

4. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I will let you know how this hatch goes. I got eggs all from the east coast this time and they are on day 12 today and growing good. My own eggs hatch great. Shipped ones I seem to have a lot that never pip the membrane. They make it to day 20 or even 21 and are fully formed but have trouble hatching. So I don't know if it is humidity or elevation or both????

5. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I am up around 7,000' elevation in Colo. and don't have any luck with shipped eggs from low altitudes. Local eggs are much better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by