High Altitude Questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joliver77, Jan 30, 2013.

1. joliver77

joliver77 Out Of The Brooder

Hi everyone!
    I have done four hatches with very poor results. I have decided my problems may be humidity problems at this altitude as I kept humidity around 50 percent first 18 days then about 60 for lock down. I have tried the " dry hatch" method with the same results. My altitude is just under 9000 feet. Any input of success at high altitude would be great. Lg w/ fan and auto egg turner. Temp 99.5
    Thanks everyone

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    1 person likes this.
  3. joliver77

I use my own eggs and a neighbors egg thats about 20 miles down the road. Nothing seems to help but the idea of raising humidity. Maybe to 60 percent then to 70 for lock down. Really seems. It couldnt get worse. Last time I did 7 eggs one good hatch 1 I helped after 8 + hours being pipped. (Its still alive). And that was my best hatch yet. Lol

4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Well, good luck figuring out what you need to do. I am only hatching for the first time (6k ft) with shipped eggs but I have 19 in lockdown with 15 of those looking good. :)

Oh, I also took out both ventilation plugs. Maybe you need more ventilation to go with the increased humidity?

5. joliver77

Thanks for your responce. I usuall pull the last plug right after setting eggs when all therms. read 99.5. So yes throughout the entire process all plugs are out. Again thanks for your replies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by