High fives to Katie, chicken mama extrordinaire

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kareninthesun, Aug 9, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    A black lab, she's taking her new career very seriously. She used to be a spoiled family dog, free access inside/outside. Since the first chicks took up residence she's created a new position in the family dynamics.yesterday afternoon when I was working in the home office I heard a terrible racket. Scared me. Both my son and I ran out, I saw part of a hawk kicking up a major fuss in the neighbors tree. All the flock was bunched under the lemon grass, minus one. Found her, ok but upset in the coop, her heart beating like crazy. Should mention Katie had a few feathers in her mouth, none chicken, all hawk like. Hearing the hawks unhappy noise, I'm guessing they consisted of serious bad bird words. Not a mark on Katie. She's been known to redirect fixes and possums, confrontations physical sometimes.

Then twice last night, she sensed what even the chickens didn't
    From their fort Knox digs. Demanded I wake and let her out immediatly. One very ticked off grey nasty fox. First time checking for entrance, second, sitting on the fence hoping Katie slacking on the job. Both times leaha my German shepherd with severe hip displacia joined her. Followed the foxes scent as to suck up any idea that this was gonna happen. And to think that two weeks ago u had trouble kicking the large furballs off my bed!

2. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    Good job Katie!!!! Wish my dogs liked my birds *Sigh* bodi likes chicks but thinks the adults should be supper [​IMG]

3. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    [​IMG] Katie gets an extra bone from me... oh maybe I'll give it to Chloe... My sons black lab. A proxy for Katie. Yummmm she liked it [​IMG]

4. 4acresNachick

4acresNachick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Great job Katie! I have a black Lab that is great with the chickens but thinks the only thing she needs to defend all of us against is the chipmunks. If she sees one she barks her crazy head off and chases it up a tree and stands guard at the base until she's sure the yard is once again safe.[​IMG]

5. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    [​IMG] ditto from my house. Squirrel come to eat chicken feed ... Chloe (black lab) sees it... Chloe barks A LOT ... Chickens squack....Chloe barks some more.... Turkey's gobble gobble gobble ...You get the picture [​IMG] but I love it all and wouldn't have it any different [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    In my book very little can top a great dog!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by