High Heat And Egg Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tumbleweed Farm, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Tumbleweed Farm

Tumbleweed Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]

I have 5 red sex links that are 18 months old and close to lay--I hope. But, the temps are in the high 90s low 100s. Is it possible they won't lay due to the heat. Say it isn't so LOL:(

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Mine almost stop laying when it get's over 100. It's 110 degrees in my backyard right now.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm sure you meant 18 weeks.
    They'll be slower at 100 but they'll still lay unless something else is wrong.
    Limit scratch which raises body temp.
    Put ice in waterer. Put a pan of cool water for foot baths.
    Shade. Temps are measured in the shade, they hate the sun in this weather.
    Free ranging helps if there are bushes and trees to hang out under. They take more dustbaths now.

4. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Mine are still laying, though we did get a soft shell this week. It's in the 90's here. I agree with the previous poster. Lots of shade, cold water, watermelon rinds (which we freeze and then offer), frozen veggies and anything else you can do to keep them cool.

5. Tumbleweed Farm

Tumbleweed Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]

Thanks to all with your good suggestions. I did mean 18 weeks, sorry!

6. callahanrickey

callahanrickey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    We are having extremely high temps (96-100) and high humidity (70-90%) here in the Panhandle of Florida, and it has caused a drastic decrease in laying.

7. redeye roy

redeye roy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    been 90 to 100 temp here in carolina an got my first egg today 20 week BR & BS

8. theRURALgirl

theRURALgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Burkesville, KY
    That is really interesting, I am in KY and we have been in the 3 digits for some time now and my girls (just over 4 months old) just started laying. Though I have only gotten three eggs in two days. I was sooooo excited!

9. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Temps here are the same as Mahonri's and mine haven't missed a beat with their laying. I expected them to slow down when the heat really started, but they didn't. They'll probably stop right when the weather turns nice. [​IMG]

10. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Very hot and dry upper 90's here. Mine are still going but it's a battle every day to keep them cool. I think it makes a difference. Mine just started at the beginning of the month and I want to try and keep them going. We do frozen veggies, watermelon, cold tomatoes, ice cubes in the water and more. I even make instant oatmeal with nothing in it then put it in the fridge overnight. They will gobble it up CRAZY fast during the peak heat of the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by