High heat creating roos???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jennn27, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Jennn27

Jennn27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    I have had people tell me that if the higher the heat in your bator, the chance of getting a roo increase. Is this true, and if it is, what is the temp for hens?? I have had maybe four batches of eggs (ranging from 1 to 4 eggs hatching) and I have had wayyy more roos hatch than hens. I think out of 10 babies, I have had three hens. I would love to get into raising and selling laying hens....but I need to hatch some hens first! lol Any tips? Or is my roo producing more roos than hens??

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

Although temp has something to do with gender of certain animals like sea turtles, that isn't true for chickens to my knowledge.

The hen determines the sex of the chicks. Maybe you have 1 hen that throws all boys? [​IMG]

If it were true, just about every hatchery would use that method. So I'm calling bunk on that theory! [​IMG]

3. Jennn27

Jennn27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    Yeah, I figured as much since I have had a rooster and hen hatch at the same time....like minutes apart. So that kinda confused both myself and my husband. lol Thanks! But I didn't know that about the hens. That makes sense. I have no idea which one is throwing hens, and which is throwing roos. Guess I just have to keep playing chicken roulette. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by