High Heat!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by [email protected], Jul 6, 2010.

1. danielviger72@yahoo.com

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Hollis Center, Maine
    Hey everyone My chic's are nearly three weeks old and have been in the coop with the heat lamp on. I have had to shut it during the day.. because it hit 99 here in maine the last few days. I have the heat lamp off tonight because inside the coop it is 85 degree's.. is this a good move? They seem to be extremely hardy.. and all the girls have gotten really meaty.. no problems at all my first time out!

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    That should be fine, especially in hot weather you don't want to add to the heat. And as the standard of how chicks need heat, they would need to be in around 80 degree temperature now.

3. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I was wondering about a circulating fan. Not to blow ON them, but to keep the air moving. It's HOT in upstate NY ! [​IMG]

4. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I agree with the pp, a fan blowing the air around, but not on them may help. Also make sure they have cool water at all times, even if that means changing it several times a day during this heat. Im in NH too, toasty isn't it! We changed their water 4 times yesterday, every time it was warm...yuck! I think we may get a tstorm tomorrow night, maybe it will cool down a bit? [​IMG]

5. medan

medan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    depending on where you live maybe remove the heat lamp and use a compact fluorcent I live in north west Georgia and my 3 week old chicks are in a hen house second level brooder and I just use light in the fixture have not had a heat lamp since late may also removed door and installed chicken wire 1 inch for more ventilation and my chicks are great

6. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I feel for you all on the east coast. We prepare for the heat in the south, because its always hot in the summer; we have airconditioners. I know how dangerous it is for people not used to dealing with it. Just remember; if you have no other way to get cool, you can always get in a bathtub of cool water. Mention this when people are talking about the heat. It just might save someones life...
    (Sorry to go a little off topic, moderators)

7. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    This heat is INSANE! [​IMG] Our girls (and boy) are really ready to be out of the box and moved into the coop, but with this heat we're waiting a few more days. I hope that's the right thing to do.

8. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Quote:Best to wait it out. I'd rather have them huddle than pant. Especially now that they are feathered....

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by