1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

High Humdity ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EMV1017, May 6, 2016.

1. EMV1017

EMV1017 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2015
    I have a Hova Bator incubator set up in my classroom with 22 eggs. Yesterday was day 10. I realized that we may have put too much water at the last water check and the incubator was reading 85% humidity today as well as yesterday afternoon.

We candled yesterday and my air cells are the same size as they were on day 7 when we candled.

Is there anything I can do to lower the humidity? I pulled the red vent plug and still very little has changed.

I do not take the incubator home over the weekend so I want to be sure that I can make any changes prior to this afternoon.

Any suggestions. These eggs are from my personal flock if this is important to answering my question.

Thank you!

2. Fuzzyrules

Fuzzyrules Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    If you put less water that may help.

3. EMV1017

Apr 21, 2015
    I do realize we put too much water. I am curious is there is anything I can do to remedy that? I don't see how I can easily remove the water without causing a disruption to the eggs.

Any ideas?

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

I'd pull the eggs out and dump the bator and run dry if it stays above 25% w/out any water, especially if your air cells are small. I never use my wells the first 17 days. If it won't stay above 25% dry w/o water I add a sponge and that usually holds it about 30% where I like it. If it remains that high (I'm uncomfortable with anything above 45% and that's pushing it for most eggs), you have a much higher chance of the chicks drowning in the excess fluid come hatch time.
    I use this method and go by the air cells for adjusting: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

5. EMV1017

Apr 21, 2015
    Thank you! I will give that a try!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by