high humidity for hatching eggs under a broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aldarita, Apr 18, 2017.

1. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    Hello everyone!
    This is my first time hatching eggs under a broody (first time hatching at all). I have 10 eggs under a broody, she has been exceptional (5th day of incubation) however I am very concerned about high humidity. I live in south central Texas where it is usually very humid throughout the whole year, we have been having a lot of rain which makes humidity even higher. Most of the mornings we have fog. I have read several posts that mention anything about high humidity but it is regarding incubators, nothing about eggs under a broody.
    I am planning to candle on day 10 and hopefully I will be able to determine the viability of the eggs but also I would like to know if anybody has had any experience hatching eggs under a broody in these kind of conditions.
    I am a nervous wreck right now since this is my first time. I have her in a nest inside a dog cage in the run where I have 5 more hens that free range all day but come in and out many times. She and I have gotten into a routine, every morning I let her out she runs all over, takes a dust bath, drinks water and eats some grass, preens and after about 15 minutes goes back in the cage and I close the door. She has food and water in the cage too.
    Anybody that has hatched in very humid areas and has some input for me, will be very much appreciated.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Broody hens manage much better than we do. She can control the humidity, there isn’t anything you can do that will help. It’s best to leave her alone and not do anything to mess her up by trying to help.

I’ve had broody hens hatch in pretty humid conditions, dry conditions, fairly cool conditions, and pretty hot conditions. They pretty well do OK. They have been doing this ever since there have been chickens, they can manage. Their basic instincts are that good. I know it’s your first time, you will be worried. That’s normal and nothing I can say will change that. But the best thing you can do is to trust your broody.

Good luck!

3. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    Thank you Ridgerunner for your reply, it makes me feel more at ease. I know I should trust my broody, she knows what to do, her instincts are very fine tuned. It always helps to hear from the experts that pass along their experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by