High humidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kentucky~Momma, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Kentucky~Momma

Kentucky~Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    South Central Kentucky
    Usually John is the incubater/hatcher guy around here, but I have a quick question. I am planning on moving the eggs tonight to the hatcher, I have the wiggle worm in there and started it up yesterday. Temp is holding steady, but the humidity is around 90% in the hatcher, how can I get it to go down? I have lifted the lid a few times to let it out, is that what I have to keep doing or is there a better way to get that humidity down?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Do you have vent plugs you can pull out?...Maybe someone else can chime in with more help...I've never had high humidity that I couldn't get down with just opening vents...

3. Kentucky~Momma

May 20, 2007
    South Central Kentucky
    I have all the vents open on it, they always are left open. Kinda confused, I have never had an issue that I am aware of with high humidity.

4. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'll bump this up to see if someone else can chime in and help...what kind of bator?...

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What type of bator? How much water is in there? Do you have a sponge that can be removed/wrung out?

6. Kentucky~Momma

May 20, 2007
    South Central Kentucky
    I don't know what kind of incubator it is, I bought it from our neighbor, it is an older styrofoam one. The water rings are full of water, as instructed by my husband, no sponges or anything. Should I try and take out some of that water?

7. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your going to have to play it by ear then and try taking out some water in one of the rings...humidity should be 65 to 75% in my opinion....try that and just keep an eye on it, you can always add the water back when or if it gets too low again.....This is the only thing I know to tell you without knowing your setup.....probably a still air then?

Can you call your hubby?...lol [​IMG]

8. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Empty one of the water channels and it will come down. Less surface area means less humidity.

9. Kentucky~Momma

May 20, 2007
    South Central Kentucky
    I checked on the humidity again, it is down to 81%. I don't dare call my hubby, i think I have called him 100+ times and he has been gone only 3 days. He left me with too many concerns and questions! I have these ones getting ready to hatch and dare I say I have some mean roosters that are getting ready for Thanksgiving tonight. (My first time doing that, and none the less, by myself [​IMG] ) I am so lost and running on almost no sleep..... [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You poor thing! You'll get through it, I'm sure. Sounds like the humidity is getting close to the acceptable range now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by