high mortality rate

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Big_Red, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Big_Red

Big_Red Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2010
    i havent raised any chicks in a long time, and the the ones im raising now are dropping like flies.

i got a heat lamp, and a space heater with a digital thermostat in case the lamp isnt enough. i always keep fresh, clean feed and water. ive recently remembered to keep the vents clean, and a neighbor told me to put electrolyte in the water for the first two weeks.

this most recent batch is 1 week old now, and i lost 6 out of 15, although i havent lost any for the last 3 days. i think ive got it under control now.

what else should i be doing or not doing to keep my chicks alive?

what do you guys folks consider an acceptable mortality rate?

thanks in advance and please hurry with the resposes, as i do not want to lose any more

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    THAT isn't an acceptable mortality rate for sure. Sounds like you may have a draft in the brooder somewhere. Make sure there isn't a draft, chickies are very susceptible to that.

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Be careful adding electrolytes to the water. They don't need it. They should not need anything other than fresh water and good quality chick starter/grower, and some heat. Make sure its not too much heat. I've found if they are cold they will peep a lot.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  4. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Where did you get them? I had a similar experience recently. We lost 10 out of 14 and have one more that still looks like it might go. I've never had anything like this happen in several years of raising poultry. We think it was a combination of something that happened in shipping and the seller sending older chicks of mixed ages. They were already dying when they arrived. It is sad. I'm sorry you are dealing with it too.

5. Big_Red

Oct 22, 2010
    Quote:they're in a recently enclosed carport. the wife is ready for them to move to the coop so we can finish the new bedroom LOL! the insulation is up, except for right around the door frame and it does get drafty there. they're now in a solid plastic box, with a laundry basket on top for ventilation.

thanks for the insight. i think this may have been my biggest problem

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:they're in a recently enclosed carport. the wife is ready for them to move to the coop so we can finish the new bedroom LOL! the insulation is up, except for right around the door frame and it does get drafty there. they're now in a solid plastic box, with a laundry basket on top for ventilation.

thanks for the insight. i think this may have been my biggest problem

[​IMG] Hope that's all it is!! I have lost some that way as well. I use the solid plastic totes now too. They seem to work better for me [​IMG]

7. Big_Red

Oct 22, 2010
    Quote:10-4. ive never actually used electrolyte, and i dont guess i need to start. i have raised chicks before without it. thank you

8. Big_Red

Oct 22, 2010
    Quote:i got them from a small time local hatchery. the man is very nice and knowledgable, so i trust him. the chicks are always clean and healthy until i get envolved lol!

9. Big_Red

Oct 22, 2010
    what about the vents? cleaning them is ok, but preventing that "paste" from forming would be so much better.

10. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I really dont know. Seems like you are doing this right. I hatched 22 chicks 2 weeks ago and havent lost any. I did give them electrolites/vitamin water for about a week and a half. The only other thing I did was keep them in the house for 2 weeks. Now they are in the garage in a little room that I have an oil heater on with their heat lamp. They very much like having more space. What kind of heater are you using? does it give off fumes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by