High of -8 in a few days. Move food & water inside the coop?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 5crazies, Dec 14, 2016.

1. 5crazies

5crazies Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2016
    Northern IL
    This is our first winter with chickens. We got them in the spring and have always kept the food and water in their run.
    We're in northern Illinois and the tempuratures are going to be in the single digits and even down to -8 on Sunday. Today it was in the upper teens and is now 10 degrees with lots of wind and I haven't seen our chickens in their run at all.
    Should we move their food and water into the coop during these extremely cold days when they don't want to leave the coop?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I give FF indoors or outdoors, depending on weather conditions. Now that it's consistently below freezing, they have heated water dish inside all the time.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    My waterers are on heated bases in the coop, where there's electricity and no wind. The feeders are also undercover, in the coop and covered enclosed run. They need to eat!!! My birds aren't interested in playing in the snow and cold either, so everything is in where it's available all the time. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by