High Pitched Cooing and Perch-Sitting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amy Hen, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Amy Hen

Amy Hen New Egg

Dec 10, 2010
    I have 3 BO hens and they are about 35 weeks old. No eggs yet... They have been making a high-pitched cooing sound (different from their normal greeting) the past week or so. 2 of their combs and waddles are bright red, the one lady is still a little pale. They have plenty of food (and eat a lot of it), fresh water, a draft-free and vented coop. BUT, they hardly ever leave their perch, just to peck around the coop, and haven't been outside in a long time. Is there something I can do? What is the cooing sound? It sounds a bit like the velasa raptors on Jarassic Park.[​IMG]

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:It could be the "egg song" which generally indicates the imminence of egg laying (or the announcement of having already laid one). At 35 weeks they should be getting down to business already! Sounds like it won't be long now!

3. gingerpeach22

gingerpeach22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Fairbanks
    When my hens make that dinosaur sound, it seems to be a response to my dog walking outside - an alarm. The egg song is a loud string of sounds like buk, buk, b-DAKET. Do you hav rats, cats, coons etc. around?

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    It does sound like they might be afraid of something. I wonder what would happen if you just put food and water outside (assuming they have a secure run) and see if they will go out for it if it isn't in the coop.

5. tkc

tkc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    I'm not an expert, just got my first egg last week, but in the week or two prior I noticed that the chicks were acting different, in a manner similar to what you described. They started making the dinosaur sounds, kind of a drawn out, high pitched growling. Then, they started following me around the yard, very closely. I thought they were watching me for weaknesses and plotting, but after two weeks of watching my back when out in the yard, I was relieved to find an egg in the middle of the coop floor.

6. Amy Hen

Amy Hen New Egg

Dec 10, 2010
    We got just got 2 eggs this week! First ones! Couldn't be happier. The other chickens aren't doing as much squealing now, and the laying hen now seems just fine.

Good girls!

7. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I KNEW it! Congratulations!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Post some photos when you get a chance. [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I don't know if I should admit it, but I've felt that way before, too!

What a relief to discover it was nothing. Yet. At leapt that's what I hope...

9. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Well, there ya go! Congrats on your first eggs [​IMG] . They are the best!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by