high pitched sounds from chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickbird, Sep 11, 2010.

1. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    i have a 3month old naked neck female, that is sick and i need some help asap please...she is making high pitched sounds at regular intervals and sometimes opens her mouth, does not seem to be having trouble breathing, although the mouth opening may be for that reason. she is still eating some, but does seem to feel bad and i actually thought she was dying as i found her laying on the ground....does not seem to have any injuries and did get up and walk some. i would say the sound is similar to a high pitched crow at regular intervals. i have looked down her throat and can not see anything...i thought perhaps gape worms,but did not see anything and she does not tend to free range although she is able to get out to do so...she has no nose or eye discharge i gave her some chicken drench with vitamins and started her on sulmet....please help thanks

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Could it be a state of shock from seeing/near miss with predator? How is she now? Any improvement?

3. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Quote:still making the sounds, still looks weak and sick...ate really well tonight, i gave her some more vitamins, and sulmet with syringe as she does not seem to be drinking the water. she felt hot as if she has a fever, i gave her some crushed baby aspirin in water with a syringe.

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I'm sorry, must be something very strange. Swallowed a stinging insect which stung her in crop?? resulting in swollen throat?? Or maybe she just swallowed something sharp which is caught?

Anyone else??

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by