1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

High production cross?????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenPrnces, Feb 5, 2012.

1. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    Trying to figure out if a cross between 2 average to above average dual production breeds will yield a higher production breed! My intended crosses are:

BA Roo x New Hampshire Hen

and

BA Roo x Rhode Island Hen

Any thoughts?????

2. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Both are a good cross for egg production, they will both lay equally as well as the parent stock and maybe a tad better due to heterosis (hybrid vigor).

Jeff

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    I would be surprice if egg yield goes above 15%

just buy the best there is...White leghorns for white eggs and Red Sexlinks for brown eggs, in Nicaragua they are almost as small as leghorn(they must have some leghorn blood) and produce very large brown eggs. I have access only to spent hens but even spent hens lay very well and never go broody

4. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    I don't want to buy more hens! I want to breed the ones that I already have to possible better their production! It's more of an experiment!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by