High protein diet linked to egg binding issues?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sweetpea325, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Sweetpea325

Sweetpea325 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2012
    Port Republic, MD
    One of my hens has been having problems with becoming egg bound for about 6 months now, I also had another hen (most likely half sister to the egg bound issue one) become egg bound about 2 months ago. I have them on Nutrena's Feather Fixer for feed due to there feathers looking awful with the other feed I originally had them on. Could the egg binding problems be linked to the high protein diet I have them on? There feathers are finally starting to look healthy but I wonder if I should put them on something else? Also, I do have crushed oyster shell available 100% of the time for them.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. Sweetpea325

Jun 22, 2012
    Port Republic, MD
    The only thing she has from that list is that she lays soft shell eggs almost at least once a week. She's of healthy weight, is never in a cage, has adequate coop space and run space with daylight exposure, has grass (during summer and I give them leafy greens during the winter) get bugs, has oyster shells all the time. I'm clueless as to what could be causing this. Sometimes one of the others will lay a soft egg but hardly ever.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What % of calcium and phosphorus is the feed?

-Kathy

5. Sweetpea325

Jun 22, 2012
    Port Republic, MD
    It's 3.25 - 3.75% calcium and .45% phosphorus

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Without vitamin D, calcium is not utilized. Try supplementing water with a good quality vitamin supplement like Avian Super Pack or something comparable for poultry. Probiotics are also necessary, and dispersible powders like Probios are more easily absorbed than others:
    http://www.probios.com/powdersgranules.html

If you are giving ACV regularly in the water, I would suggest you stop. ACV leeches calcium from the bird rather than assist with absorption.

Mix some oyster shell with the feed instead of providing it in a separate container. You'll notice the label on water dispersible powder vitamins often states to use the product during periods of stress, inclement weather, etc. Moulting, changes in environment, medicinal therapy for overcoming disease, activity during breeding season, are all stress related. Make sure your birds have access to sunlight during the day. Lack of sunlight during the Winter can also disrupt absorption of vitamin D and calcium. It is for those reasons that I periodically supplement water all year long. The 9 year old flock benefits from this since the egg shells remain thick, and their overall health is good.

1 person likes this.
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Not an expert, lol, but I think that's okay.

This is what my chickens get (my breeding peafowl get a a much higher protein % during laying season).

Source: http://poultry.purinamills.com/ourproducts/products/layena/
    Guaranteed Analysis
    Protein, not less than 16.0%
    Lysine, not less than 0.55%
    Methionine, not less than 0.25%
    Fat, not less than 2.5%
    Fiber, not more than 7.0%
    Calcium, not less than 3.25%
    Calcium, not more than 4.25%
    Phosphorus, not less than 0.5%
    Salt, not less than 0.3%
    Salt, not more than 0.8%
    Vitamin A 3,000 IU/lb
    Vitamin E 10.5 IU/lb​

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Some of mine don't like oyster shell, so I also offer alfalfa hay, kale, swiss chard, collard greens, etc.

-Kathy

9. Sweetpea325

Jun 22, 2012
    Port Republic, MD
    I have been giving them collard greens during the cold months and I have noticed her eating the oyster shell but I can't determine how much she actually gets. I don't give them ACV but I will get the probios and give that a shot. It has been colder then usual lately so maybe she's just been stressed out. I have some orchard grass hay bales around there run, I wonder if that is causing something?

10. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    That's good you supplement greens during Winter. I give kale during the seasons where fields are brown. I believe the vitamin powder is important in addition to the Probios. I don't know what is in your orchard grass, but sometimes chickens that range all day find things that taste good, and stay on that instead of their nutritionally fortified feed ration. I range mine daily, even if only for an hour or two on the days I work. Both flocks have large pens so it isn't unfortunate for them if they don't get out on range.They like the feed ration I give them, so being palatable is important, but will avoid it when they have all that choice on range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by