High protein feed for shows birds

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by BirdGirl2004, Aug 14, 2018.

1. BirdGirl2004

BirdGirl2004 Crowing

Nov 19, 2016
    Huntington, Indiana
    Hello, I just recently got a gorgeous Black tailed White bantam rooster, and I want to make sure that he is given a good diet that will allow for his feathers to be healthy and shiny. I was wondering if I could feed my rooster Chick Starter/Grower feed? I thought maybe that this had higher protein than the "all flock" and would be better on his feathers. the only thing is that this feed has corn! I've heard that corn will turn there feathers yellow with time? He's already lost a couple big feathers, but maybe this is just stress from getting a new home?!?
    Thanks!

Heres my boy...
    [​IMG]

2. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

:eek::bow:love:wee

BirdGirl2004 likes this.
  3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    I think you will need more then chick starter grower. Been watching the show folk for years and they have all sorts of special conditioning things they do. Have you contacted other breeders of this breed to see what they do? Isn't the Black tailed Jap eWh/eWh S/S Co/Co ? I know when I gave my Light Sussex Black Oil Sunflower seed they had lovely feathers. They are eWh/eWh S/S Co/Co. But I don't know if these works with your breed. Research tells me that BTJ and LS have the same color genetics except BTJ lack the Hackle Black gene which causes their hackle to be white instead of containing black like the LS.
    How about surfing the show results and looking for a top quality breeder to help you with conditioning Does the breeder of your bird show? if so, what do the do to condition their birds? I do know at the show you can run a piece of raw silk over the feathers and it will give them a nice shine.
    Best,
    Karen and the Light Sussex in western PA, USA

4. FrankPrize

FrankPrize Chirping

Jul 20, 2018
    I feed my OEGB & my Phoenixes maintenance gamebird feed (the one that’s 21% protein). I supplement with a mix of dry oatmeal, millet, sunflower seeds, and egg meal (the type that’s sold at pet stores for canaries). I also give them canned dog food occasionally and grass clippings weekly. I do give them cracked corn but I try to limit the amount— especially for my white and blue birds. Keep your BTWJ out of the sun and feed him a protein-rich diet that’s low in corn to prevent yellowing and bronzing— that’s what I do with my blue and white birds. What I feed has given me really good results— all my birds are thick and muscular, their feather quality is great, they always molt on time and with ease, and my phoenix cockerel is always in blood feather.

5. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    wow great response FrankPrize! Lots of useful info here!
    Karen

6. BlackHackle

BlackHackle Gone away, will be back next month

Jun 1, 2018
    Out North
    My Coop
    I feed Multipurpose Poultry Suppliment mixed with Black Oil Sunflower seeds and other grains

7. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    BlackHackle, who makes the supplement?
    Thanks,
    Karen

BlackHackle likes this.
  8. BlackHackle

BlackHackle Gone away, will be back next month

Jun 1, 2018
    Out North
    My Coop
    Hi Pro feeds in Canada. It is 36% protein so it need to be diluted

Kayla's Lunch and 3riverschick like this.
  9. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    Thank you! What do you dilute it to for your Light Sussex?
    BlackHackle do you think the original poster could use Nutrena Feather Fixer feed to keep the Jap from dropping more feathers due to stress adapting to its new home?

BlackHackle likes this.
  10. ChooksNQuilts

ChooksNQuilts Crowing

Nov 26, 2017
    Southwest Idaho
    The sun makes white feathers brassy.
    My SLW are barely a year old and their hackle feathers have been brassy for a while.
    Of course they free range daily and aren’t show birds but the advice to keep him out of the sun sounds legit.

BlackHackle likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: