High protein treats for molting hens?

Fontaine

Songster
Jun 20, 2020
Naples Florida
After losing Lily, 14 mo old Hamburg ( and my favorite) to fatty liver I really nervous adding treats. I always give “ healthy” treats and limit them. I’m afraid I just couldn’t say no to Lily.believe me I still feel so guilty. Now Savanna( white Cochin) Francine ( Colombian Wyandotte) are molting while the other 8 are not. Should I give them eggs,flygrubs etc for extra protein? If so how often? The flock is on TSC Dumore 16%. The others are still laying so I don’t think putting them on high protein food is correct. ( ? I think it’s lower calcium) thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 1895D208-B04A-4AA4-B755-9192915F5E8D.jpeg
    1895D208-B04A-4AA4-B755-9192915F5E8D.jpeg
    996.2 KB · Views: 7
Putting all your hens on high protein feed such as flock raiser or all flock or chick feed would be doing them a favor. Have oyster shell in a separate dish.
Scrambled ages are great protein, maybe half egg per hen every other day.
Ok, would I use the high protein feed you listed all the time even when not molting? Also I do have oyster shell next to the feeder. I’m not sure they eat it much. Thanks for the ration for eggs. That will be easy to do.

Ok, would I use the high protein feed you listed all the time even when not molting? Also I do have oyster shell next to the feeder. I’m not sure they eat it much. Thanks for the ration for eggs. That will be easy to do.
Yep, all the time. Layer feed has the minimum required protein, eggs are almost all protein so they could use more.

Chickens are what they eat in terms of quality and nutrition of the egg and meat.
I had no idea I was feeding an inferior food. I knew it was cheaper than some but thought it was because it was a TSC Product . I was also confused on how much protein a chicken should get each day. I will be changing food. Thanks for all the responses

I had no idea I was feeding an inferior food. I knew it was cheaper than some but thought it was because it was a TSC Product . I was also confused on how much protein a chicken should get each day. I will be changing food. Thanks for all the responses

A lot of people here prefer to feed All-Flock with the oystershell on the side.

And a lot of us who do, me included, started off not knowing that layer feed was not necessarily adequate for dual-purpose birds kept in backyard conditions. :)

Back
Top Bottom