1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

High Protein treats??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mags2009, Oct 27, 2009.

1. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I've been hearing that high protein treats are the best for hens, especially ones that are close to laying, which ones are the best? What does everyone give their girls for treats??

Thanks![​IMG]

2. Benelli

Benelli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    I don't know which are best, but my hens love seafood kitten food. It's about 30% or more protien. They follow me around when I get home from work until I throw it out to them. Then they go off looking for bugs the rest of the evening. The kitten food is smaller and easier for them to eat than normal sized cat food.

3. Hornetkc5

Hornetkc5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    Oakwood
    I give min bananas from my grocery store a huge bag about 20 bananas is 99 cents when too ripe for the stores liking. The birds dont mind!

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I use the black oil sunflower seeds. They just love 'em!!

5. cap1717

cap1717 6 chooks, 1 slave. . . me!

Jun 12, 2009
    Peanuts! I buy them in bulk at the feed store, and "reward" the girls, after egg collection, each day. . . . .
    The downside, they now hang around the back door constantly. . . pooping on the door mat and demanding more peanuts![​IMG]

6. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    We use Black oil sunflower seeds and tuna.

7. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    It seems illogical to me that the major feed companies include inadequate protein in their feed mixes designed specifically for laying hens. I'm confused.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I suspect the key is that the large chicken/egg producers want minimum standards they can get by with. Makes no sense to feed a chicken an optimal diet when you are going to slaughter it at 1.5 years or whatever, long before it has lived a normal life span. We can stay alive a while on an inadequate diet.

There is a big difference between minimum and optimum. I'll bet the research on what is optimum isn't out there.

9. cap1717

cap1717 6 chooks, 1 slave. . . me!

Jun 12, 2009
    Quote:I suspect the key is that the large chicken/egg producers want minimum standards they can get by with. Makes no sense to feed a chicken an optimal diet when you are going to slaughter it at 1.5 years or whatever, long before it has lived a normal life span. We can stay alive a while on an inadequate diet.

There is a big difference between minimum and optimum. I'll bet the research on what is optimum isn't out there.

Agreed. My girls have "free choice" layer feed, but go nuts for high protien treats. . . I figure it's got to be good for them. . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by