1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

High protein?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tonyschicks, Feb 11, 2016.

1. tonyschicks

tonyschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2015
    Homestead Florida
    Hi, not sue if I'm posting in the right thread but I just received a pair of Ayam cermani chickens and have a few questions about their feed as I am new to this breed. The person I bought them from said they required a high protein diet. He said to feed them lots of fruit and veggies and even any left over meat. He said I could also just mix in with their scratch Game bird chow 20%. This seems like a lot of protein for what are suppose to be 3 month old birds ( even though I just heard the roo start his singing) . Has anyone else heard of this? Thanks in advance

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    At three months old they should be on a good quality grower, which will have from 18-24 % protein. Anything extra like fruits and scratch will cut the total protein amount. I personally like keeping mine around the 18% to slow down their growth a bit so they don't mature too early. I have no experience with offering mine meat, at that age they are usually eating bugs.

1 person likes this.
  3. tonyschicks

Apr 17, 2015
    Homestead Florida
    In other words they don't need any type of special feed? Or higher than normal protein levels?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    No, but a grower is higher in protein than a layer, so maybe that's what they were referring to. So find a starter or grower that you find locally so it's easier to buy more, if it's non medicated they can stay on it forever, otherwise you can switch to a layer or all flock when they are mature, I like to wait until around 8 months.

5. tonyschicks

Apr 17, 2015
    Homestead Florida
    Thank you for your input

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by