High protein?

tonyschicks

Chirping
Apr 17, 2015
Homestead Florida
Hi, not sue if I'm posting in the right thread but I just received a pair of Ayam cermani chickens and have a few questions about their feed as I am new to this breed. The person I bought them from said they required a high protein diet. He said to feed them lots of fruit and veggies and even any left over meat. He said I could also just mix in with their scratch Game bird chow 20%. This seems like a lot of protein for what are suppose to be 3 month old birds ( even though I just heard the roo start his singing) . Has anyone else heard of this? Thanks in advance

At three months old they should be on a good quality grower, which will have from 18-24 % protein. Anything extra like fruits and scratch will cut the total protein amount. I personally like keeping mine around the 18% to slow down their growth a bit so they don't mature too early. I have no experience with offering mine meat, at that age they are usually eating bugs.

At three months old they should be on a good quality grower, which will have from 18-24 % protein. Anything extra like fruits and scratch will cut the total protein amount. I personally like keeping mine around the 18% to slow down their growth a bit so they don't mature too early. I have no experience with offering mine meat, at that age they are usually eating bugs.

In other words they don't need any type of special feed? Or higher than normal protein levels?

No, but a grower is higher in protein than a layer, so maybe that's what they were referring to. So find a starter or grower that you find locally so it's easier to buy more, if it's non medicated they can stay on it forever, otherwise you can switch to a layer or all flock when they are mature, I like to wait until around 8 months.

No, but a grower is higher in protein than a layer, so maybe that's what they were referring to. So find a starter or grower that you find locally so it's easier to buy more, if it's non medicated they can stay on it forever, otherwise you can switch to a layer or all flock when they are mature, I like to wait until around 8 months.

Thank you for your input

I am making my ladies high protein frozen treats. They love cooked salmon but canned tuna in water is accepted. They love boiled eggs cut into very small pieces.
I try to make a well rounded meal with fruits and vegetables and meal worms and grit.
I am experimenting with molasses too.
I make a wide variety of the frozen treats using very small bunt cake pans. I normally do 3 frozen treats a day. Running the molds under hot water to release the treats and storing them in zip lock bags.
I only feed them treats once in and one at night. They have access to crumble food and fresh water at all times.

I feed everyone Flock Raiser, 20% protein, an all- flock feed that's good for chickens of all ages and sexes, with oyster shell on the side for the laying hens. My birds free range most days, and get plants, bugs, worms, etc as they find them. I feed very limited scratch, and some other stuff, as treats. Simple is best! A good all- flock or chick feed, that's available fresh at your feed stores, is going to work well. Mary

Back
Top Bottom