1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

High School vs GED

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by SarahFair, Sep 29, 2010.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Ok I was wondering..
    When filling out applications or when someone asks you for something (other than just social talk) and they ask did you complete high school do you say Yes or do you say I got my GED? When it asks last grade completed what do I say? 12th or the grade I had to leave in to get my GED?

I feel like telling people I got my GED lowers their "thoughts" about how well I can do things, expectations of me, etc...

[​IMG]

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    a ged is a general education developement.... Same as a high school education.. so unless there is a GED box I'd say yes you graduated.

3. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Quote:X2. You must have completed the same level of coursework for both of them.

4. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Frankly, the GED is harder than the senior year in high school. Getting your GED shows that you are determined and will finish what you've started. If someone looks down on you, that's their problem.
    Slinky

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

As an employer, there is a difference between a diploma and a GED. A diploma shows that you can stick to a challenge, see it through to the end. A GED shows that you can get things done quickly. Which one is the employer looking for?

I have a GED.

6. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Im not looking to get employed right now...
    For some reason someone "important" asked me the other day and I said will I didnt finish HS.. I had to get my GED (due to the birth of my son).

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    My husband dropped out of high school to join the army (Vietnam days) and later got his GED in prison of all things (non-violent crime). He says that if he had to go back and do it over, he'd have just stayed in school. He got his GED in Ohio which is supposed to be the most difficult state to get it in.

BTW, when I was a personnel manager of a franchise McDonald's, we would only hire adults if they had a diploma or a GED.

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Sarah-

Just some positive words for you....My nephew was "too smart for high school"--meaning he had an attitude problem and dropped out. He got his GED, and now, he's attending the Ohio State School of Medicine, and he's going to be a doctor! So, don't worry about that. [​IMG] Be proud that you've gotten your GED. My step daughter dropped out of high school because "she was 18 and she could do what she wanted to". (More attitude problems--LOL) Anyhow, she is 19 now, and she'll be 20 in December, and still no GED. So I'm just saying, YAY FOR YOU! Even with a baby you got that GED. Alot of young people don't do that. [​IMG]

9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I tell them I got my diploma in the year I got my GED.
    sharon

10. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Our DS went to an alternative school, and his diploma was exactly as if he had graduated from HS. So, in my book, a GED is the same thing. Unless they ask, don't tell. HS diploma box is the one to check. It's harder to get a GED now in Illinois, made the literature part so hard its really a panic to study for. You also can't take the GED until the class you were suppose to graduate with in HS graduates, so might as well just stay in school and do it right. Why someone would go to school 11 years and then chuck it all away because they think they are too big for their britches is beyond me. I know, some things are unavoidable, but for the ones that just chuck it because they are lazy and don't want to work for it, are in a rude awakening if they really go for the GED.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by