High Tech Coop/Brooder Design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by olinr, Feb 23, 2009.

1. olinr

olinr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    Phelan, CA
    Hi All,

I want to pass on several ideas I developed to assist me in managing my new chicks. The coop is new and fully insulated. I will expand on this in a later post.

Today, I want to show you a grit bin/hopper I built. I could not find one that would work for my chicks, so I constructed one from 1x8 cedar fence slats. It is easy to work with and has a good odor to it.

[​IMG]
    The grit bin is mounted to the wall with metal straps. I designed the cover so I could remove it and still prevent the chicks from roosting on it.

[​IMG]
    The hanger bar is a construction pole cut to fit over redwood 2x4's. A chain is dropped to attach to a heat lamp.
    I used a repair link to adjust the height of the heat lamp by looping the chain.

[​IMG]
    The High/Low Heat Lamp is attached to the chain with a repair link.
    Note the pullet roost I added in the rear.

[​IMG]
    I installed a wall thermometer to view in the coop. I added a remote temperature sensor to monitor in the house.

Any inexpensive remote weather station remote sensor and display can be used. We get down to 14 degrees in the Winter, so I wanted to find an easy way to check on the birds. I have an electric space heater in the coop to maintain a 70 degree house temperature.

[​IMG]
    I placed a wireless camera (Lorex) in the coop to view the chicks without going out in the cold weather.

[​IMG]
    The Lorex receiver is attached to our living room TV as a Picture-In-Picture display. This is how it looks.

I am as high tech as one can get, so I use my training and interests to adapt to different settings. If you see something here that is of interest to you, please contact me through this forum or to my email address.

(Note to Nifty-Chicken:)
    If you want me to write a wireless camera project for this forum, I can do it. My background includes reviewing computer software as Editorial Press. This is along with my technical support on computerized medical equipment. I'm just a California farmer in high tech drag![​IMG]

Dick.
    Phelan, CA

2. paul65

paul65 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    SW Pennsylvania
    Nice coop just one thing i don't think cedar is good for chickens not sure if its just the shavings or all cedar just a heads up.
    But love the look of it and the babys.

3. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    You are the god of gadgets and gizmo's....come on over and help me, it appears I'm the wrong generation for that fancy stuff, but wouldn't mind having it.....the chicks huddled in the corner look like they are trying to get away from the heat....might want to raise the lamp a bit. You have a nice coop, just wish you were closer to me gizmo god.
    HappyHatch'en

4. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    [​IMG]
    That's an impressive setup!

I'm in the same boat as HappyHatch'en when it comes to the tech stuff, but I agree about the "corner chicks". You might want to monitor the temp down at chick level, especially under the lamp.

Heck, with my tech skills, I feel like I have really accomplished something when I figure out how to post a photo!

5. olinr

olinr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    Phelan, CA
    Rte.66_chicks :

[​IMG]
    That's an impressive setup!

I'm in the same boat as HappyHatch'en when it comes to the tech stuff, but I agree about the "corner chicks". You might want to monitor the temp down at chick level, especially under the lamp.....

Oh boy, I knew I would be in trouble with the chicks in the corner! I liked the photo, so I posted it. What you did not see was the next photo and the chicks were roaming again. Also, McMurray shipped me chicks hatched on Friday (by their invoice). I received them on Monday. Some of the chicks looked younger than that. I think I received a mix of hatch days. Other chicks were spread across the floor, including under the lamp. So, some needed the heat as others did not. I am monitoring the temperature and I did raise the lamp several links. Tonight most were in the shadows really sacked out. I have about five that are smaller, with few feathers, and others that have wing and tail feathers. Right now, I see about four or five under the lamp. So, there!! (just kidding of course) It is a good lesson for those who have their first chicks.

RE: Cedar wood.

I considered this when I used the cedar. The chicks are not pecking on the wood. They just fit themselves inside the bin to eat the grit. I used a good wood glue with staples and removed all of the sawdust. They've just asked me to set up another round for them....

Actually, they run to the far corner when I open the door. However, they scamper, and fly, toward me right after that. Several will come to me as I open my hand out with my fingernails exposed. They will peck at my nails and ring.

What you did not see was the wall and interior sliding door I added to prevent the chicks from flying out the main door.

[​IMG]
    Looking into the coop through the main door. Notice the interior door part way open.

This allows me to walk inside before I access their quarters. Several chicks would come up to me while I have the interior door open to feed and water them. They look out and dash back. Funny children! I think they are calling me "Daddy" as I am doing my chores.

Keep the comments coming. I still want to know the breed of the yellow chicks.

Dick.
    Phelan, CA​

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Ma that's Awesome, I can live in something like that.
    Great Job,well done [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Omran

7. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    I feel great when I change a light bulb and don't get shocked....
    OK....olinr....where is the stereo? I heard that chickens like to listen to 2 radio stations.... Country & Western! in stereo.
    The sliding door is a great idea, you have done your homework...how about an over-all pic from outside....showing the coop and pen area?
    BYC Forum....where evryone starts the race as the EGG!
    HappyHatch'en

8. olinr

olinr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    Phelan, CA
    HappyHatch'en :

I feel great when I change a light bulb and don't get shocked....
    OK....olinr....where is the stereo? I heard that chickens like to listen to 2 radio stations.... Country & Western! in stereo.
    The sliding door is a great idea, you have done your homework...how about an over-all pic from outside....showing the coop and pen area?
    BYC Forum....where evryone starts the race as the EGG!
    HappyHatch'en

You are funny!

I have considered the radio idea. I have XM since we rely on satellite for everything; XM, DirecTV, and WildBlue (for Internet).

You are pushing me on the outside photos. I have not finished my pen area. I was lucky to get the coop finished in time for the chicks. I have roughed in a dog door for the chicken entry. However, it, and the vents are covered. They are just waiting for me to open them up. But, first, I must complete the run.

We get a lot of wind here, and the night temperatures are still low. We have had our share of snow flurries this winter. But, Spring is around the corner. Some of our trees have budded. Usually, we will get one more hard freeze to kill the buds and the trees start over.

I will post pictures!

Dick,
    Phelan, CA​

9. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    wow great set-up and design [​IMG]

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Just for the record, pecking is a nonissue with cedar; it is the volatile oils (that produce the scent) that can be problematic. I am not suggesting you have a problem, just sayin' [​IMG]

Don't they poo in the feeder an awful lot? Or is this just for getting them started and in a week you'll switch to a regular feeder they can't stand and poo in?

Nice setup [​IMG],

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by