high temp, meter or incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmerChef, Jan 26, 2011.

1. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Bought a hovabator with turner for $50 of craigslist! woohoo! had to drive an hour and a half away to get it, but yay!, she gave me a therm/hygrometer too. Pluged it all up, the turners working, but the 'out' temp's at 106-107. I put my meat thermometer in there and it says 102-103. added a little to much water, so the humiditys high.

The meter is Taylor brand, it has a little button that says in and out. The 'out' temp is 106, and the 'in' temp is 67. I pressed the reset button, but it still says the same thing. She didn't give me a manual for it, so I don't know what that means, does anyone have one of these and can tell me either how to work it/how it works? only 2 of my hens are laying right now, so I'm going to put in 3-4 as a test hatch tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chicken_crazy93

chicken_crazy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    Quote:I have three of these type hygrometers/thermometers. The in temp means the temp in the room your in & the out temp is inside the bator. My three seem to work great.

3. farmerChef

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    but 107 is to high, right? how can i get it to go down?

4. kimfeatherfriends123

kimfeatherfriends123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2010
    boonville, in
    are you having trouble with thermometer or incubator. Or both??

5. farmerChef

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I don't know, thats what I'm trying to figure out.[​IMG]
    will the temp go down once to eggs go in?

6. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
  7. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    BTW I would consider adding a fan kit to it.

8. robnms

robnms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    I have that bator and it's really easy to operate. Here's what you need to do:

Put it in a room with steady temps and no drafts, plug in the turner and add water to the tray in the middle (it's under the wire) only the middle tray for now, put the whole temp/hum inside the bator, let it run for at least 2 hours so the temps level off. If it's too hot then lower the temp by turning the small "L" handle on top, it should have a sticker that tells you which way to turn it, I think right is to lower it. Let it run and check humidity and temps, keep adjusting 1/2 turn at a time till you get it where you want it.

Do a search for temps on a still air bator to get the right temps.

9. farmerChef

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    found and old computer and took out the fan and used an old cell phone charger for the plug. played with the 'L bar' and got the temp to go down to 102, with the fan. Got a little more figiting to get it to the right temp. woohoo, eggs go in today. [​IMG]

10. NicoleRM

NicoleRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    Williston, FL
    You can calibrate the "out" reading by placing the probe in a glass full of water and lots of crushed ice for 10-15 minutes. It should read 32. Once you figure out how much it is off, you can use that to determine what the real temp is by subtracting or adding the difference. Mine is off by a couple of degrees, which is pretty common.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by