High temps and survivors?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PolloAdoro, Nov 30, 2010.

1. PolloAdoro

PolloAdoro Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Conifer, Colorado
    Please share your stories of your incubator reaching a high temp and still having some survivors, someone (probably one of my kids-on my hubby's watch [​IMG] ) turned up the temp, I have no idea for how long, but when I looked at it-it read at 112 [​IMG] . I need some inspiration and stories of hope please....

2. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Hi,
    There is always hope. How many days were they in the bator? Have you candled them?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My latest hatch was my best ever and I have a temp spike to 104 and I have no idea for how long. Most hatched 2 days early too.

4. wilkey44

wilkey44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    I had a 13 of 16 hatch with a spike temp of 105.4 just a couple of weeks ago

5. PolloAdoro

PolloAdoro Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Conifer, Colorado
    Thanks, it was day 11. I have tried to candle them but all my flashliglhs blow. Hard to make anything out. I did order a brinsea candler.

6. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Our incubator once got up to 107 F and we had a succesful hatch [​IMG]

7. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    my last......and best hatch of the year, I had a 109 spike..........thought I cooked them
    Had nothing but trouble with humidity......then a 105 spike about day 17.
    Thought about tossing the eggs I was so discouraged. My husband talked me out of it.
    Sure enough.I had about a 75percent harchand strong healthy chicks.
    good luck

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It mostly depends on how long the temp. was that high. It takes the eggs awhile to reach the ambiant tempature in the bator so if you caught the temp spike within a few hours it will probably be ok. Even if it was for longer you may still have some hatch. [​IMG]

9. HeatherB

HeatherB Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    Ellsworth Twp, OH
    Technically not a survivor, but I think I killed him rather than the high temp..

I found mine at 117 on day 20.. [​IMG] Best I can figure is that my darling kitty, who was quarantined in the bedroom (and trying very hard to get out and play with the other kitties) while on antibiotics for a liver problem, got up there and was playing with that lovely little knob of a thermostat while we were sleeping.

I only had three eggs in there. I figured there was no way on earth anybody made it.. brought the temp down and got it fixed, waited several hours, and I tapped at the shells a few times but nobody answered me. The other ones seemed to chirp if I tapped on the incubator lid or was in the room talking, or they'd even answer the finches when they start carrying on. With the temp that high, I figured they had to have been cooked in the shell. So I cracked them to take a look at how far they'd gotten. The first two were dead. The last one started to wiggle and chirp when I opened it up, but it also started to bleed.

I patted a little flour on the bloody spot, closed it back up, then he went back in the incubator. He still wiggled in the shell for another day before he died.. I wanted to just open the shell up and let him out, but I could see blood vessels and I know he could bleed to death. [​IMG]

I jumped the gun and assumed they were all dead. [​IMG] I'm pretty sure I killed him. Next time I'll assume they'd live through just about anything and just not touch it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by