1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

High Velocity, Foamy, Watery Poops in 2-3 day old chicks.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aart, Dec 3, 2013.

1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    .......it squirts out so hard you can hear it hit the puppy pad liner in brooder.
    They almost seem to wind up and brace themselves before letting it loose.
    It foams up when it hits, then dissipates slowly into a puddle. Kind of a pale yellow to clear color.

8 chicks total have seen a couple deliver, not sure about the others...tho there are 'normal' solid poops in the brooder too.

These are incubated from local home grown eggs, hatched within the last 3 days.
    They are all eating and drinking and sleeping and running around the brooder...no pasty butt.

Lamp on one end warm enough for them to stay under it when resting,
    but not constantly piling up under it.

First chicks for me, so maybe it's normal?
    If not normal, what could it be?

TIA

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] the way you describe it !! do you have them on medicated feed? if not, they should be and if their getting too warm they drink alot too causing this explosion.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    LOL, yeah well, when you have animals you deal with poop...might as well have a sense of humor about it.
    Levity Saves Lives :D

I'm wondering if their water to feed ratio is just off, will be watching closely today.

Not on medicated feed....I don't like to medicate anything unless I know what needs to be medicated for.

I'm guessing that this may be cocci and will get some Corid today in case the projectile pooping continues.

Still hoping someone who's seen this knows what it may be and will post their experience.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by