1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

High volume FF

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Stormy NY, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Stormy NY

Stormy NY Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2012
    Ok ... So who has come up with an idea to do FF large scale ?

2. Stormy NY

Nov 10, 2012
    So no one has any ideas how we are going to ferment large quantities of feed for the coming season ?

3. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Please define "large quantities" for me. I regularly ferment 5gals without any trouble - ok, trouble only when son spills scratch grains on floor of barn instead of in bucket (!) which means mousetraps for at least 2 weeks....grrr....

4. Stormy NY

Nov 10, 2012
    How are we going to ferment enough feed for 200 ... 300... 400.. birds ?

5. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    I think I would use those blue 55 gallon barrels, cut down vertically, then layed horizontal on blocks so they can't roll. Add a tin or plywood lid. Of course if you a big and tall and can reach to the bottom of a vertical barrel then you could just cut the tops off of them and use them that way; maybe reattach the tops with hinges for lids. I"m too short for that, my kids would find me stuck with my legs in the air trying to get the feed out of the bottom!

Or I suppose you could cut them in half so you have two short round barrels to work with.

6. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I read in the fermented feed posting that there was one person that uses a large 30 gallon trash bin and just keeps adding to it as it starts to get low. That would definitely be plenty for that many chickens

7. Island Roo

Island Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Duncan, BC
    I'm feeding 45 beaks with two 5 gallon buckets. Each day I move about 2 gallons of feed from the main fermenting bucket into the "feed" bucket and reload the fermenting bucket with fresh feed. I add some alfalfa to the "feed" bucket to absorb some of the moisture and feed it the next day. Repeat and rinse.

I prefer a longer fermentation so I tend to have more on the go than some people.

To scale up to 400 chickens, I would us a 55 gallon drum and load several 5 gallon "feed" buckets each day for distribution.

You would need a big stir stick. I use this paint mixer for a 5 gallon bucket.

[​IMG]

8. Island Roo

Feb 14, 2012
    Duncan, BC
    Changed my mind - a 55 gallon barrel will be difficult to deal with unless you figure out a way to stir it and scoop out the feed.

The 30 gallon trash can is probably better. But I would use 2 to keep the feed fermenting longer.

9. Stormy NY

Nov 10, 2012
    I am trying to think of a way to drain the feed ... Right now I have 2 bucket system in 'MY" bathroom tub in the house (wife is not to happy) .. I cut a 5 gal bucket in half so as I lift the feed bucket I slip the half bucket on and let it drain.

I get the 30 can thing .. but that has to be a pain getting the feed out ...

10. Island Roo

Feb 14, 2012
    Duncan, BC
    I don't drain mine anymore. The more birds you have the more difficult the draining becomes.

I use 2 buckets - one "fermenting" bucket and one for daily feeding. I keep the "fermenting" bucket fairly dry so there is barely any liquid - if any - on the surface.

This is my daily procedure:
    - In the morning I feed from the "feed" bucket.
    - Re-load the feed bucket with about 1/3 of the fermenting bucket - this will be for tomorrow morning's feeding.
    - Top up (back slop) the fermenting bucket with dry feed and fresh water (there was still 2/3 of the feed leftover)
    - Add some dry material to the feed bucket so it will be a thick oatmeal consistency for tomorrow morning.

To get the feed out of a 30 gallon container, maybe a 4 quart saucepan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by