1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

High Volume Watering

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HobbyChickener, Jan 19, 2009.

1. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    I know I have seen them some where in here but I cant find them. I am looking for a watering method that I can use a 5 gallon bucket (or larger) but has a small water bowl for them to drink out of.

It had some sort of float or soemthing in it so when the water level dropped just enough came out and you did have to worry about them running dry.

I think I saw them on a tractor that someone had? Any Help?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I just use pvc pipe. Mine hold 3 gallons.

[​IMG]

You need a shut off valve at the bottom so you can take the cap off an refill it without all the water running out. Could use a cap at the bottom to do the same thing cheaper.

3. HobbyChickener

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    Thanks but the one that I saw used some kind of float that you could actually run a line into the tractor or coop and there was a large container on the outside.

That is a good idea with the pipe, I am assuming it works off of a vacuum concept?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I think and I may be wrong that the person that built the awesome water bucket with float removed those photo instructions for some reason. [​IMG]

It was an awesome watering idea.

Maybe someone here remembers how it goes?

5. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
  6. HobbyChickener

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    Do you remember them Mrs P? I can picture it on the side of the tractor, I just can't find the photos. It wasnt a very elaborate set up but it looked as though it worked very well.

Hobby

7. HobbyChickener

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
  8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    That is not the ones I thinking of. Someone did 5 gallon buckets with holes for their heads to go in and a float valve from a toilet thing. It was autowatering and very simple.

9. donkei

donkei New Egg

Mar 10, 2008
  10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    That is the one. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by