High Wind Dangers

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jvp0719, Feb 5, 2013.

1. jvp0719

jvp0719 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2012
    Dutchess County, NY
    Has anyone ever worried about their coop blowing over in high winds? I have a movable coop (not willing to keep it in one place) about 4x8x4. http://www.henspa.com/Henspa Features.htm We can sometimes get sustained winds during a storm of 40mph with guests to 60+mph. The coop weighs about 300 lbs but I am still really concerned about it blowing over some nights. I also want to raise it up off the ground on wheels to give the Hens some shade come the summer. I am concerned that with the added height that it will be even more unstable.

Is this all an unfounded fear or should I be legitimately concerned? Any suggestions on how to add stability WITHOUT making it unmovable?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. katoranger

katoranger Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    Altamont, KS
  3. sawyerashton

sawyerashton Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    South Louisiana
    My Coop
    I understand your concern. My coop is 4x4x6 and we had a bad storm a few weeks ago with a tornado touching down a few houses down the road. It threw my coop 25 feet and slammed it into the fence. Now I try to stake it down if the weather will be high.

Mine is movable too.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I always worry - or at least I used to. It's pretty windy here in Kansas and my coop is quite exposed. It's also tall - fortunately it is bottom heavy. The ground where it sits is quite rocky underneath - I can't drive posts more than maybe 4". So, on the north and south sides I poured concrete footings and a ring inserted. I then ran a chain from the ring to the bottom of the coop and attached it there. It might move a little but it will never go over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by