High winds today...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gonzo, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    We're going to have high winds today, around 40 mph, with gusts up to 55 mph. Should I let my chickens out? I'm afraid of them being blown away or tree branches hitting them. I'm not sure what to do?

2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Well, if it tells you anything, mine are so in today that they're in the house. My house. I hadn't planned to let them out anyway, but to make sure that nothing happened to them, I brought them in.

3. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    same forecast here in Atlanta, gusts to 45 mph. No free ranging today. Going to check on them soon as its light.

Uh, IN the house? I'm thinking the garage - but I've got no trees aimed at anything here, unlike some neighbors.
    Good luck!

4. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Wow! I wish I could bring mine in! I've got more than 20.. My hubby would freak out to put it mildly! Thanks though.... I will keep them in, I'd be heartbroken if something was to happen to any of them.

5. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I never watch the news. Someone always tells me whatever I need to know. I just asked my husband what is all this wind that everyone is talking about and he told me it was the same wind we had yesterday.....something about a low-pressure system that followed a cool front, working its way up and now the winds are north of us. Well it was gusty for the past 2 days. Also I asked him about how high the winds got ( he works at a location that needs a wind guage ) and he did tell me he was clocking in winds at 40 and 50 mph.
    Well I thought about keeping the chickens cooped yesterday, but it was for a different reason. I was concerned that they had eaten too much grass and that I needed to deprive them for a few weeks until I can replant the goat pen. So it wasn't the weather. I eventually did let them out, because I will make a decision like that when I am better able to completely fill the feeders. They were fine. Can't say any of ya'lls will be fine, but the worse I have is that I have a rust colored carpet of cypress needles and maple/oak/etc leaves that are completely covering my grass. Oh well......more compost. I realize that some of you may have had snow recently, however. IDK.

6. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    Very high winds now in So.Cntl Ky!!No laundry on the line today..temp is not bad..52..

7. Mrs.ChickChick

Mrs.ChickChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    North central Illinois
    27 degrees here, wind chill of 10. Gusting to 45 mph. Supposed to get down to 1 degree tonight with wind chill negative 20. [​IMG]

I opened the pop door this morning, and they all rushed out like usual. By the time I was done with chores, they were all back in! I closed them in today, it's just too cold and windy. Also took them out some warm mash and oatmeal.

8. Uzuri

Mar 25, 2009
    gonzo&hispeeps :

Wow! I wish I could bring mine in! I've got more than 20.. My hubby would freak out to put it mildly!

And for good reason :p My garage now smells like a chicken septic tank, and I'm getting odd looks from my co-workers [​IMG]

9. Jody

Jody Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    Funny.. I just asked my wife if I could bring my chickens into the house, lol.. My poor chickens [​IMG]

I'm glad I added a 25w lamp yesterday.. before, all they had for light was a small fluorescent tube and it didn't give out any heat, so I added a regular lamp with a 25w bulb as all I had around was that.. When snow's off the road I'll get a 60w or maybe a 75w so it'll give off more heat.

I also added more straw and shavings so they can burrow themselves into deep nests if they do that.

High winds and up to 12" snow here.. supposed to turn to freezing rain later.. I am praying it don't turn into a disaster like last year when everything froze and power was out for weeks

10. Uzuri

Mar 25, 2009
    Good luck, Jody, looks like you're getting worse weather than we are. If it'd been a little colder last night, and we'd gotten ice instead of rain before these winds... well... I think I'd be walking to Florida with the chickens all strung out behind me :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by