Highest In Pecking Order Attacking Sick Hen....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TwoCrows, Sep 20, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have been nursing a sick pullet with a sour crop. She has been to the vet for a crop flush, on med's for a week and is VERY slowly pulling out of this after nearly 3 weeks. However the flock leader pullet has been attacking her, trying to run her off completely. So do you think it is because she can tell this other pullet is sick? Can chickens tell this? Or is this top bird just taking advantage of a slower bird. By the way, this sick pullet was only second in command to the top bird when she was well. They all grew up together. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks...Leyla [​IMG]

2. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:I'm not an expert, but I think it's probably because the sick pullet is sick, and because she was removed from the rest for treatment. She lost her place and the pecking order may have changed.

Maybe put her in a kennel in the coop or run for a while so she's safe from the others but they get to see each other?

Is the top pullet the only one attacking? She might need some time in the crate to adjust her attitude.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am going to set up a dog crate tomorrow for this top order bird that is doing the attacking. You are probably right as not only was she gone at the vets for one full day, but she had some confinement in my greenhouse for warmth, especially at night. So the sick pullet is not present and accounted for sometimes.

Thanks for this great information! In the dog crate the meany will go!

4. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    It is best to separate a sick or injured hen for us or cull. It is natural instinct to bully, harass, or even kill an injured flock mate and natures way of "strong survive" Once healthy again reintroduction should not be a problem...

They will cull their own....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by