1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Highland, NY - seeking chicken people to help change village ordinance

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by brobry, Jan 19, 2012.

1. brobry

brobry New Egg

Oct 25, 2011
    i've kept hens for a little less than a year now, and i've fallen in love. however, the ordinance in my town (town of Lloyd aka Highland, NY) currently prohibits hens from being kept in my zone in the village. the current ordinance is very conservative, allowing only those with 5 acres or more to have "farm animals" (a category that includes hens). i have been working with the zoning board and town board to get this changed to allow a small number of hens in all zones, with certain criteria in place.

that said, i am interested in connecting with local people who are interested in doing a little bit of advocacy, probably nothing more than attending a town board meeting or two and maybe signing petitions. any takers?

i have lots of ideas and am willing to take the lead, but, at the town's suggestion, i'd like to drum up some visible support.

2. Krobe332

Krobe332 New Egg

Mar 23, 2012
    How did it work out. I just found myself in same situation and would like to try to change this here too! Kathleen

3. brobry

brobry New Egg

Oct 25, 2011
    i haven't had to proceed with anything yet, but i will post when something happens. i'm thinking i might do some research into petition signing and how many signatures it takes to get something moving in my municipality.

4. shortcoach

shortcoach New Egg

Sep 30, 2012
    I would love to get involved with this and could help in any way you want. I have 2 acres and find it crazy that I can't keep chickens.

email me here if you want any help.

tim at armorytrack dot com

5. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I would love to help aswell..i dont live in the village but i am on the plattekill highland boarder..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by