1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Highly porus eggs when candeling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Freyda, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Freyda

Freyda Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    I tried candleing this weekend on eggs that have been in the bator for 3-4 days. They were all speckled? I found a picture on the internet that said that they are highly pourus and will not hatch. What causes this? I think most of my eggs are like this. Will none of them hatch?

There is a picture similar here: http://shilala.homestead.com/files/egg6fix.jpg

Any
    help is apprecaited.

Chantal

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I had the same problem with eggs from my own girls. I was told by others that they have had some hatch. Unfortunately, I had thermometer problems and mine didn't hatch.

If they are from your own girls, are you providing free choice oyster shell? If not, I would get some and put it out for them-it really helped mine and I was feeding back the egg shells.

3. Freyda

Sep 9, 2008
    Thanks Former Kitty. I just started giving oyster shell after I had two soft shelled eggs. But these eggs were from before. I think that they are all speckled and not I'm freaking out thinking that none will hatch. I saw a dark spot in the of the yokes when candling. I don'nt know if this is a blood spot or the start of a baby ckick?

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Keep them till you know for SURE !!!!! I have had eggs like that, and its not always that they are pourus I have noticed in my own flock that somtimes during the year the eggs look more speckled when candled. I not to long ago hatched 15 chicks out of these kind of eggs.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Almost forgot........ [​IMG]

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:At 3-4 days it is really hard to see much. You should wait until at least 7-10 days. Most do not toss an egg until at least day 14-unless it is very obvious that it's not developing. i.e.-clear eggs, definate bloodring, etc.

7. Freyda

Sep 9, 2008
    Ok thanks so much! I just can't wait!

8. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Agree with Farmer Kitty and swtangel. I have had eggs very porous and hatch with no problems. I to have been told they wont hatch, but I have not had a problem. The only problem is being able to see the embryo inside the egg. So the really porous ones I dont candle till day 10-14. I still have a few hens that lay a porous egg even though they get oyster shell free choice. I have never been able to find a answer to it. Maybe one day I'll figure it out.

Good luck on you hatch and Welcome to BYC!

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I also get porous eggs from acouple of the girls, mine hatch just fine. I provide free choice oyster shell also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by