Hiii There from New Zealand!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AlexxD, Oct 27, 2014.

1. AlexxD

AlexxD Out Of The Brooder

Hi there people! I've been visiting this site for advise since i got my day old chicks back in june.
    I was given them as a present for my son. One of them had a crook leg. We tried out best with her but every time she tried to move she just went around in circles. I went to the breeder i got her off and picked up another one just incase as she wasnt getting much better. Unfortunately in the next couple of days she passed away :(

[​IMG]

Over the next few weeks the healthy chicks became more active and noisy. Very cute though.
    [​IMG]

At a month old they had their first venture outside. Met the yard rabbits and all the odd outside noises.
    [​IMG]

At two months old they spent their days outside in the run and took them inside at night time as it was still quite cold. They grow up so fast!
    [​IMG]

These two have had a fair bit of human contact so are rather friendly :) They also love having selfies taken!
    [​IMG]

Just a month later and they both looking like healthy feathery chooks! By the way, What do you think my silkie is crossed with?
    [​IMG]

Later on that month I had an intruder in the coop. A Cat had taken my wee wyandotte pullet :(
    For the next week I was on the hunt for some company for my silkie cross. She was going a bit insane all alone and having seen the sight of her mate being taken. The following week i came across a farmer on the outskirts of Christchurch who was selling some point of lay Rhode Island Reds. I smartly went out to visit. Got my hand on these two girls who on the first day laid me two eggs and have done ever since. :D
    [​IMG]

The new girls have settled in well. This is the coop which I converted from an old wood shed. Made the nest box and roost with PVC downpipe feeder. There is also another feeder outside under a shelter.

[​IMG]

As for water. Ive done away with the hanging feeders as they kick all sorts of stuff into the water.
    I designed a self watering system. A 10L pail with a toilet cistern filler connected to the outside tap. From the bucket are two outlets at the bottom that gravity feed 6 chook nipple waterers. Three inside and three outside around a tree. They took to them within minutes. I Highly suggest using these.

[​IMG]

Sorry if i got a bit carried away with this post but its all very exciting and new to me :D Any suggestions or tips you could give me would be great! Also on the 19th on nov i will be picking up a 12 week old Light Sussex.

Nice to meet you all!

Alex

2. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning Alex and welcome to BYC! Nice to have you join us [​IMG]

Good pictures, you're right...they do grow up fast! If you would like some help identifying your silkie cross, you can post close-up and full body photos under this forum and the experts will help you out:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Hope you're having fun with your birds, you have a great set up for them.

1 person likes this.
  3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Love the pictures!

1 person likes this.
  4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you joined us. Must have been difficult losing a new chick and then another. Glad you found the new two.

1 person likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh you have a lovely flock! I am so glad you are enjoying your birds so much!

This is the place to be for all the fun and learning. So make yourself at home here. And we do welcome you to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Finnie

Finnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2014
    Indianapolis
    This is exacty how it is for me, too. I am full of all kinds of chicken dreams and plans now!

Nice to meet you. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You got carried away because you are enjoying your birds so much - nothing wrong with that. Welcome to the flock. Your silky cross is very pretty.

1 person likes this.
  10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by