Hikers/Back packers/Firetowers

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by quercus21, Jan 26, 2012.

1. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Any backpackers/hikers out there? We are hoping to get out this weekend and do a bush wack. We'll use compasses and topo maps. I have found some good maps that are downloadable in the PDF format.
    If everything goes well we should be able to do 2 peaks. Most of our hikes are in the Catskill mountains. We did the Cranberry Lake 50 last year which was fun. It took us 4 days and 3 nights to do the loop. We slept 2 nights in lean-to's and 1 night in the tent. We were lucky, the 2 nights in the lean-tos, it rained. The last night, in the tent, we found a out crop that sort of over hung into one of the large ponds. We had a beaver that was just as interested in us, as we were of him/her.
    Enjoy

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    My sons & I hike quite a bit & are working on hiking all of the 4,000 footers in the White Mountains. We did 4 last year & are waiting for some good weather to get back up there.
    The man in my life is about to hike the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico - Canada in April (til October). He is hiking with a guitar & keeping everyone informed of his adventures at www.jasonhikes.com.

3. quercus21

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    The Whites are going to be our next challenge. We did all the mountains over 3500' in the Catskills during summer, now we are doing them in the winter. This year has been different, not enough snow for snow shoeing, but you defiantly need micro spikes and/or crampons in some places. We are thinking of trying canoe camping this summer up north.
    You camp on your hikes? We are also doing the 100 highest in the Catskills. So of them are overnight stays.
    Enjoy

4. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I love hiking in the Ozark mountains. Spring and fall are my favorite times to go exploring. I love finding waterfalls and caves.[​IMG][​IMG]

5. happycountryhens

happycountryhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Central NY
    Love hiking. This past weekend we hiked with a group of scouts to the top of Bald Mountain. (Shoulda brought snowshoes, but we did ok anyway. :))
    Met up with the Utica Tramp and trail Club at the top of the mountain. We could see First, second, third and fourth lakes from the top. It was a really nice hike.
    We do tend to hike more in the summer. We have camped at Cranberry lake and hiked the trails. Last year we went to Charles Fahnstock (?) campsite right off the taconic parkway. There was some nice hiking there, but didn't do as much as we wanted. Brookfield was a nice hike on foot and on horseback.
    Hope to do more this year and maybe meet up some more with the Tramp and Trail club.

BTW, I love your pics, Ozark.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  6. quercus21

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Nice pictures Ozark. There are some "caves" in the Catskills, but nothing like they have south of me in the Shawangunk Mountains. The last time I was at those caves was close to 35 years ago. I doubt I could find them again with out help.

This is what we found up on Sugar Loaf Mountain - Catskill Range

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy the day

7. quercus21

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Happy,
    Have you thought about doing the CL50? Cranberry Lake is one place we are thinking about going with the canoe this summer. I know next time, I am bring a fishing pole. We found a lot of nice little ponds in there. We never made it to Cat Mountain, it was raining to hard. We figure, there wouldn't be a view and the mountain isn't going anywhere.

Enjoy

8. happycountryhens

Jun 17, 2010
    Central NY
    My kids are still a bit young for that, but maybe joining your group for a hike in the catskills would be right up our alley. They are troopers and we do hikes of 3 - 5 miles now.

9. quercus21

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Here are 2 groups that offer group hikes that I know of. Rip Van Winkle Hikers and the Catskill 3500 Club The better half and I don't hike in groups. We like to do our own pace. Sometimes we have been known to go off the beaten path. Were we are heading today, there is suppose to be a B17 crash site. If we have time, we might meander around and try to find it. Today's hump should be 10 - 12 miles. I know there was a member in the 3500 club that took his son hiking and did all "high peaks" for their patches.
    We use to take our kids hiking, and 15 - 20 some odd years later, they still do it.
    Enjoy

10. happycountryhens

Jun 17, 2010
    Central NY
    Firetower on Bald Mountain. I will look up those Hiking groups. I love the longer hikes, but love hiking with my family better. :)
    We had lunch at the firetower and made hot soup with a tiny camp stove.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by