Hilarious rooster behavior!!! Why does he do that?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lillyrosesmum, Jun 18, 2016.

1. lillyrosesmum

lillyrosesmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2016
    East Texas
    It's my first time as a chicken owner. I love it! I love just sitting there watching their sometimes hilarious antics! :yiipchick

My question is why does my cockerel kind of scratch his flight wings and what is it called? You know when he stands next to one if the girls and goes into that "dur dur durrr" mode. :love He fans out his flight wings and scratches them with his claws making a zipping sound.

I am guessing it's him showing off because he thinks he's such a stud. I thinks it's funny. :lau

What other funny things do your roosters do?!? Im curious and excited to know!:cd

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    That's exactly what he is doing - he's showing off for the ladies.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Mine will sometimes come out of the shed during roost time, spitting mad because he realized a hen has been slow to come in for the night. He will chase her vigorously around until she goes in. He's head rooster and they better listen.

4. lillyrosesmum

Feb 13, 2016
    East Texas

That's funny! :lau

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    My one-year old Cream Legbar roo does exactly what you describe, strumming his extended and dropped wing tip with his foot as he's dancing up to a hen. I began a thread several weeks ago asking if anyone else noticed their roosters doing that as I've never seen any of my previous roosters do it, and I wondered if it was something he picked up from seeing the wild turkeys mate.

It's definitely a part of the mating performance, and it lends an audio feature to their display for their chosen.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    And I'm sure the girls are thinking "oh, here we go... again [​IMG]"

My roo likes to shoot out of the coop on a morning and then wait by the pop door for any hen brave enough to "weather the storm" on their way to feed.

1 person likes this.
  7. lillyrosesmum

Feb 13, 2016
    East Texas
    One day I ran to the door becausei heard a woman screaming outside. Turns out it was his crow. Yes, he screams like a girl. :lau

8. microchick

microchick Overrun With Chickens

I have a clutch of week old chicks that are broody hatched. Mostly mixes of Buff O, Welsummer and Speckled Sussex. Two of the chicks are SS/BO crosses. Last night our Border Collie was in the barn with me as I did PM feeding and watering. Broody had her babes away from the door and near a window where I noticed one of the SS/BO crosses standing on its toes, looking down at the dog nosing about the barn. Suddenly it gave out a perfect little warning call. If I hadn't been watching them I would have missed it entirely. As it was I had to laugh and say out loud. "Well, at least we know YOU are a rooster!"

It's amazing how young they start acting like boys!

1 person likes this.
  9. lillyrosesmum

Feb 13, 2016
    East Texas
    I didn't even know they could show rooster behavior that young. :eek: That's awesome!

10. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Those little hormonal boys often turn out to be terrors though, hopefully yours behaves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by