Hillside Poultry Farm is not telling the truth

kaya's farm

Songster
11 Years
Aug 6, 2008
southern VT
I was wondering if you guys could help me out with this issue that has been bothering me for some time now. We have this local man who seems nice enough but I feel is misleading his coustomers into beleiveing he has a farm and sells his eggs. Every place I stop and ask about local eggs refers to Hillside.......... One problem....... the town and address the business is run out of is simply the driveway he parks his truck in at night. The truck he drives to get factory eggs and resells with a local vermont address on the carton. The eggs are huge, cheep, and delivered all over within a 50 mile circle around our town. How can my local eggs compete with his 1.25 eggs that even local farms are buying from this "farm".(they still do) Thats my main objective i feel the issue is that he should say hillside poultry distributors or something.

I want to pursue this issue that has been getting my goat for some time now. Any ideas on who i might contACT IN ORDER TO SEE IF THIS IS EVEN AGAINST ANY RULES!!!! I have been avoiding the topic because i have a waiting list for the eggs my 35 free range chickens lay. The other day i got ticked off when a person asked me about eggs and compared my price 3.00 to the other 1.25 i got angry and now want to see if anyone else thinks this is out of line.

Look foward to any comments on the matter

I'm confused. Do you mean eggs or roosters? There's something I'm missing in the language.

edited.... OK, I'm guessing that someone at Backyard chickens lacks real humor and they have changed the post from e g g to rooster for today.

I would be polite to your customers. You don't buy from a local farmer to necessarily save money. You do it for quality, knowledge of source, supporting the local economy. I would not even attack the other person, just say, "Here's my farm where these eggs come from. If you can find an actual farm from someone else that you like better, you're free to take your business there. I'd be happy to show you around and answer any questions you have about my product."

Last edited:
thanks for the pointer but I am looking to do what I can to stop Hillside and the lies they use to sell mass amounts of factory eggs.
I could give a crap about the individual who doesnt know they are not getting farm fresh eggs for 1.25, not angry at them but the company who is tricking it's costumers

Do you have a local newspaper? I would contact them anonomysly and tell them what's going in. It might make for a nice story and you are getting the word out.
People buy Farm fresh produce under the belief that's what they are getting- not cheap produce from a factory farm. Are they brown?

So are the egg cartons labeled correctly? I don't believe there is a definition for "farm fresh." Do you know the exact source of the eggs? Other than normal deceit what do you think he might be doing that's illegal. Sounds like just getting word out about you product might be the approach to take. Don't bother anonymous public postings. If the paper wants to do an investigative article on local eggs that would be good, but not an anonymous posting to the newspaper.

why does it bother you so what someone else is doing? Is he doing something to you?

to your customers who mention that your price is higher than his,,,,,,tell them to buy their eggs from him, then and then forget them.. I have done this......I still have a waiting list for my eggs.

If it really bugs you that much and you feel you have to say something.. say it directly to him..

It might surprise you that you might not know all the facts, and he can clue you in...

Quote:
i would go with what this person said.

thank you..
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom