Himidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ranger 45, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Ranger 45

Ranger 45 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    Inman, SC
    Just Started incubating some eggs this after noon. what is the best way to get the humidity right in there. I for now cut the botton off a 2liter bottle and filled that with water. I placed that directly under the lamp. is there a better method? If so please share this the first time ive ever tried to hatch eggs.

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    It depends on the incubator you are using. Sounds like a large one if a 2 liter bottle will fit.

Don't leave that in there during the hatch. I had a chick hatch out during the night & fall into my cup of water & drown. What a mess.

I use paint trays under the floor of the bator. They have a sloped bottom. I put a huge sponge in each one (there are 2) and then when I want more humidity I add water. Because of the sloped bottom the surface area of the water increases as the water level rises. Compared to a bowl that gets deeper but the surface area is the same.

It works really well & gives me good control on humidity.

3. Ranger 45

Ranger 45 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    Inman, SC
    well i took an old cooler that its lid broke off. Its about24' by 14" and about 14" high. i put a pane of glass over a third of it so i can keep an eye on the temp. For the other third is an old lanp that is like one of the lamps in the movies when the fbi interrigates some one. I positioned it in there to where it wasent touching anything and covered that open space with tin foil. Put some hay in the bottom and it satys right 98 degrees. i didnt put a penny in it. I will remove the water cups when it comes close to hatching time

if u want i can try to post a couple pics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by