Hinged roof what to cover the top ridge with?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AllisonK, Jun 22, 2008.

  1. AllisonK

    AllisonK In the Brooder

    Jun 16, 2008
    What can I get to cover the top ridge of a roof with if one side is hinged. All they had at home depot was metal and hard plastic and the guy said they would eventually break from opening the roof. I though I read some where on here that someone used something rubber but I can't find it in the search. Ideas please?

  2. Mahonri

    Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

    May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Buy the appropriate size of PVC pipe and either split in half or cut to fit.
  3. jenjscott

    jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

    May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I used a regular aluminum ridge cap and just fastened it on the stationary side. It rides up and down as I open and close the other side. It doesn't sit quite flat, but it does what its supposed to do.
  4. You could also get a plastic corner cap the kind vinyl siders use. Same as with cap shingle, fasten one side only, probably with screws. I think drywallers use something similar, too, in lieu of metal.
  5. hendreque

    hendreque In the Brooder

    May 27, 2008
    SE PDX
    We got a bicycle intertube and cut it in half. Take some roofing caulking that works on asphalt and glued it down on both sides of the roof.

    If you want to come visit me I'll let you use some of the caulking [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: