Hinging a Shingled Roof (or Alternatives to Shingles) [pics]

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sixpantsmaloney, May 9, 2008.

1. sixpantsmaloney

sixpantsmaloney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    A little late in the design process I realized my traditional "peaked" roof needs to open on one side.

I wanted to put shingles on it but I think the shingles over the hinge would stress and break over time.

So I need to either 1) Come up with an aesthetically pleasing alternative (I saw some cork-like covering at the Meyer Hatchery retail store last week) or 2) Forgot the whole thing and just make the roof solid. I used cheap particle board so I don't think a coat of paint will be enough. Plus is will look bad.

I saw some coops had removable panels but, as you can see, my goofy design lacks the center "beam" running along the roof peak. So the only thing to anchor into is the roof "trusses" themselves.

I've designed a large access hatch of sorts so I crawl into the coop if need be but I'd rather not.

The coop is 2 x 4... very small (we live in the city) for only 2 chickens.

Thanks for your time and ideas,
    Brian

PS: For those of you wondering why the construction is such overkill, I'm using the coop as a scale-model of a shed I'm going to build so I'm making all my mistakes at this level. Hence the goofy roof supports and use of 2-piece walls (there's even insulation between those walls and soon to be wiring).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  2. dickiebird

dickiebird Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2007
    Cedar Hill MO
    Don't hinge it at the peak go 1 row of shingles down and use a flexible rubber flap under the upper shingle and covering the hinge. I did this on a large dog house I built years ago and it's still in use and water tight. For the rubber flap I cut a piece out of a tractor inner tube.
    THANX RICH

3. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Nice Coop

4. ozzie

ozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
  5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Most hardware stores would have corrugated vinyl roofing or a bundle of metal roof covering- might we worth checking. We're using clear PVC over our run, a product called PALRUF. Pics soon, we just received our order but they're going on a run shown in my home page, linked below.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  6. dbullock

dbullock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Sumner, MS
    I built a small biddy coop (3'x4') and hinged the roof at the peak but I had a 2x4 ridge board. I then used asphalt / gravel roll roofing to cover the roof. I used three lengths of rolled roofing. I started at the bottom on each side and nailed it down, then laid the last strip over the peak and nailed only one side down (the side that does not open). Works get and does not leak. You could always add a ridge board?

7. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

We wanted the sunny side of the coop to have a removable roof, so we could air/dry it out - or cool the whole insides in the late afternoon of a hot day. Also to aid in cleaning. We have a roof design similiar to yours. What we did was lay down slats at the top of the "open side" and have the 2nd slat down OVERLAP the first one, so there was a lip... We then mounted tabs on the BOTTOM part of the removable roof panel so it is held in place at the bottom at just the right place. You reach on the sides and slide it up and then lift the bottom out and then the roof comes off. Here's a shot BEFORE we shingled it. It works great by the way... Your coop looks great !!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    [​IMG]
    Side opened.
    [​IMG]
    From back.

I roofed mine with some heavy plastic panels. They're called slip sheets and are used in place of pallets for floor loads on trucks.
    Its tough and flexible and thick enough to not tear, and soft enough to flex.

I have some extra ones if you was closer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by