Hink JC Eggs arrived, whats next!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HannaDolly, Jun 30, 2016.

1. HannaDolly

HannaDolly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Hello all,

I had extremely good luck with the shipment of my Hink JC lavender Orpington Eggs. I am letting my eggs settle fatty end up for a 24 hour period before putting them in my incubator. should they just be left in a cool dark area of the house or in the fridge? I have them in a cool dark area now i wasn't sure about the fridge.

I know shipping eggs can be tricky and i would love to hear everyones opinions and experiences getting good hatch rates.

I am using a Little Giant Still Air Incubator. I have my humidity % in check right around 48% right now. My temp is still a work in progress. it was a touch high last night at 102F and slightly cold this morning at 97%. my ideal would be right around 101F

The inconsistency in my temp has me thinking i should move it to a room in the house with one small window and away from fans/ natural light or open windows. Is this the right thing to do? Its a small room i use pretty much as a closet with one small window.

I wont be starting my eggs until i have a good constant temp in my incubator.

Any and all tips, ideas, and experiences are greatly appreciated.
    HinkJC sent me 3 extra eggs which was an AWESOME surprise on my end when i left work early to get them out of the sun on my front porch. I am super excited to start raising this beautiful breed and want the best outcome for my little eggs!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    -Hanna

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

yes move the incubator to a place without drafts, or a lot of light.
    don't put the eggs in the fridge! it makes it so the eggs won't develop!

3. woodlandsprite

woodlandsprite Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    Days Creek,Oregon
    Best of luck on your hatch...Can't wait to see pics of the babies..

4. HannaDolly

HannaDolly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    I will definitely be posting pictures of the chicks once they hatch. I did not think putting them in the fridge was a good idea, but have heard others mention this reason i brought it up.

Ive only used my incubator one time on a batch of duck eggs when the momma was killed during hay season. I had a great sucess rate, having only two duds and had just a few days left until hatching when someone turned my thermostat all the way up and turned it into an oven, killing them all. Hence why my incubator is at the house and not at the barn this time around.

So needless to say this is all quite new to me still!

Thanks !
    Hanna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by