Hints and tips for my new coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TJbfarms, Jul 22, 2011.

1. TJbfarms

TJbfarms Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    Pa
    I got a new chicken coop and was just wandering if anyone had any advice on maintainance, or ideas for addition, etc.( things like that). Just looking for some tips! I'm so excited to get my SILKIES to put in it! I am thinking about 4? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

[​IMG] Coop looks very nice for four.... I like the wire ramps too Good traction and no cleaning needed. I would make one teeny little change. That exposed edge of wire which is part of the ramp I worry about cuts. I would get some old garden hose and split it and cover the edge of that wire by zip tie ing it on... easy fix sort of the chicken version of baby proofing.

3. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    Hi! Welcome to BYC!

Nice looking coop!
    You're going to need to predator proof the run. I'd suggest adding a band of 1/2" hardware cloth to the bottom half where you have just chicken wire now. You'll also want to have an apron of heavier gauge wire, that runs at least 18" out from the "walls" of the run. (don't ignore the corners.) It's there to deter animals that dig. Mine is covered with a couple of inches of dirt and it's secured to the "walls" so nobody can sneek in thru that gap. Some people have it laying on the surface of the dirt and let grass grow up thru. I even have wire under the dirt in the run. It's bent up at the sides and connected to the walls. You can see pics on my BYC page.

Good Luck and have fun!

4. TJbfarms

Jul 15, 2011
    Pa
    Well, I kinda want it to look a little more professional, because we've been saying its a chicken mansion [​IMG] ... Lol any other ideas for covering the wires? I think they are ground off, so that there is nothing sharp. [​IMG] thanks for the idea though, i may use it in the future, or for my other coop if we expand it!!

5. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Where are you located? If it's somewhere that gets hot I would recommend adding some additional ventilation. It looks like it could get hot and stuffy in there. Also, it looks like you could fit more than four comfortably. Enjoy your new coop. [​IMG]

6. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:LOL... then you could use that striping they use on Car doors for sharp edges.... or new hose.... [​IMG] But if its smoothed off no worries. I am so quick to get a scratch on wire or steel.... [​IMG]

7. TJbfarms

Jul 15, 2011
    Pa
    Thank you! Any ideas for ventilation or cooling them down in this smaller coop? I always get so attached to the sweet little buggers(lol literally buggers!) so the ventilation has to be predator proof. We have lost hens to coons and weasels before );

8. TJbfarms

Jul 15, 2011
    Pa
    Also what are your thoughts on the first part of the ladder/stairs to the ground. It seems a bit flimsy and I don't want my babies to [​IMG] any supports that wouldn't need to be just a peice of wood from the ground up?[​IMG]
    GREAT ADVICE SO FAR GUYS!! [​IMG]

9. TJbfarms

Jul 15, 2011
    Pa
    ill be puttin 5 in it (if you wanted to know)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by