1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hip (?) bone showing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by woolnest, Apr 28, 2016.

1. woolnest

woolnest New Egg

Apr 28, 2016
    We have 7-day old barred rock chicks. :) Today I noticed that one of them has a bone (cartilage?) that pokes out from her flesh just under her wing. There is no wound, and she walks fine. She is the smallest of the five, so I wonder if this leg issue is causing a growth issue. Has anyone seen this before? Have any advice? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. woolnest

woolnest New Egg

Apr 28, 2016
    Here is a photo of our chick's protruding bone/cartilage:
    [​IMG]

3. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Well, that should be the area of the knee...the hips are up toward the back more. I am seeing at least an abrasion of the protuberance in the picture. I am worried that the break in the skin might have allowed bacteria to enter the body. If you are attached to this chick, I think a vet visit is warranted.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    The site won't let me zoom in on the picture so I'm not sure what I'm seeing?? I agree vet visit absolutely. I have 7 Barred Rock Chick's this year at 2 weeks old. They sure are sweet, smart, and a ultra friendly breed. One concern, did you say the chick was a week old? Perhaps it's the photo but does she seem small to you? Is she eating and drinking herself?can she walk herself? Please let us know what the vet says. I sure hope she recovers quickly. Shes a beautiful chick!

5. woolnest

woolnest New Egg

Apr 28, 2016
    @realsis @jensownzoo

Thank you for your replies to my querie! It looks as if there is a layer of flesh still over the whole bone. I see the spot which looks like an abrasion, but I'm not sure it is. There is a bit of down growing from the skin around the protrusion. She behaves like the other chicks, but she is definitely more timid. She is slightly smaller than the others; I can pick her out but the rest of my family have a hard time telling her difference. She walks, eats, stretches fine, thank goodness. I will call the vet.

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by